[osis-core] Question on cit/citation

Patrick Durusau Patrick.Durusau at sbl-site.org
Wed Oct 27 10:31:35 MST 2004

Jim,

Trying to collapse several questions into one.

Just cutting to the cit/citation cases in this response:

Jim_Albright at wycliffe.org wrote:
> Thanks for looking at my problem domain.

<snip>

> Citation_Line1 (etc): Question, you list lg but I assume l?

> need here?
>
> Err, actually just looked at the John the Baptist example and so you
> would want something like otPassage on lg. Hmmm, then you could do the
> line1, line2, etc. with XSLT. Actually would reduce the amount of markup
> you would need since if I am in a lg type=otPassage, then lines 1, 2,
> etc. fall out from the structure. I think that works for me if it works
> for you.

> book

OK, but if I understand the second case (not an otPassage) then don't
you have a <reference>key verse</reference> in the introduction?

Maybe it is a difference in terminology but I understand <reference> to
be a citation, at least if you mean something like:

"The key verse in this book to me is <reference>John 1.1</reference>...."

Close, far away, lost?

> Citation_Paragraph: Looks like a block quote that contains a paragraph,
> which as you know can contain a reference element. I think this is what
> hold me to the names) element.

> Not sure what would be different about using a block quote that contains
> a reference element.

Yes, but we are making the structure (hence descriptive markup) of the
text, not its interpretation (meaning).

Besides, if we want to avoid confusion and inconsistency, then we don't
want to have citation and blockQuote with the same content model. Some
people will use one and some people will use the other.

> Citation_Reference: Why isn't this simply a reference with a type? That
> is to say all references are citation_references in some sense of the
> term. Since we have an element for marking all references, why not use
> that and add a type if necessary?

> inferred by context

Sorry, I don't think I made that clear. A reference, at least in my
experience is always a citation. Perhaps we are using citation differently.

Can you say a bit about how you see a citation_reference as being
different from a reference? Whether I am inside a citation or no, it is
still a reference and I assume we want to treat all references the same
way? In other words, it does not matter if it is a citation_reference or
some other sort of reference, would it?

Will try to answer a couple of more areas this afternoon but may not
reach all of them today.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick.Durusau at sbl-site.org