[osis-core] Re: <divineName>

Jim_Albright at wycliffe.org Jim_Albright at wycliffe.org
Thu Oct 21 05:08:23 MST 2004

And this is the reason that XSEM has YHWH for this element.

Jim Albright
704 843-0582
Wycliffe Bible Translators

Patrick Durusau <Patrick.Durusau at sbl-site.org>
10/20/2004 08:33 AM

        To:     Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org>
        cc:     osis-core at bibletechnologieswg.org, Jim Albright
<Jim_Albright at wycliffe.org>
        Subject:        <divineName>

Chris,

Jim Albright pointed out to me a post from some time ago where you took
the position that <divineName> should only be used for YHWH, therefore
there should be no type='ywhw'.

When Jim asked the question about usage, however, I pointed out that
names for the Deity in the OT include: El Shaddai, Elohim, El Roi, El
Olam, El Elyon (from memory, I think there are two or three more), which
are variously translated in most translations to preserve the underlying
textual differences.

As far as I know, only the Tetragrammaton is formatted differently. But
most translations do distinguish the other names as well.

If we take the position that <divineName> is only used for YHWH, then
<divineName> really should not have a type attribute.

Assuming that we can use <divineName> for all instances of names of the
Deity, shouldn't we have an enumerated list for consistency's sake?

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick.Durusau at sbl-site.org