[osis-core] RE: What is happening

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Tue Oct 12 00:19:58 MST 2004

Patrick Durusau wrote:
> Fred,
>
> Fred Mellings wrote:
>
>> Whatever conclusion you all come too there should still be some
>> mechanism to allow all of the 92 to be processed within the OSIS core
>> and be mapped to their relevant name/s
>
> I think we are still confusing several issues here. Take Judges B for
> instance. Both in the Hebrew and NRSV, Judges has 21 chapters. In OSIS,
> both would have the name Judges and indicate in the header that one is
> the NSRV text and the other is the BHS text.
>
> So, what is the difference with Judges B? Why should it be treated
> differently? I realize that ParaText does treat it differently but that
> is not a sufficient basis for deciding to treat it differently from the
> book of Judges from the Hebrew or English text.

The duplicated books are all instances of books from two different
sources that are included in Rahlfs' LXX. Most are cases of there being
a more standard version and a version with slightly different text or
versification.

I don't really see any good reason to define IDs for any of the
duplicate books. They're just multiple instances of the same books we
already defined.

I think we MAY want to define a new book ID for Greek Esther. We really
shouldn't need to. "Esth", in my opinion, is sufficient for both. And
SBL does not define a separate abbreviation for Greek Esther. And most
Bibles will have only Esther from Hebrew or Greek (not both, as the NRSV
happens to have). But there seems to be frequent confusion in this
matter, often resulting in the incorrect assignment of "AddEsth" to
books that represent Greek Esther. Anyone else have an opinion on this
issue.

We should also somewhere specify an abbreviation for Odes (I suggest
"Odes"), since SBL doesn't list one in the handbook. This is a somewhat
important book (but only if you're encoding the LXX or a translation of it).

In general I think we ought to move something akin to the list I drew up
at
http://web.archive.org/web/20030801225807/www.bibletechnologieswg.org/osis/specs/BibleBookNames.html
into the documentation. (I hope this page will be available soon, since
it seems to be down ATM.)

--Chris