[osis-core] Chapter title

Todd Tillinghast todd at contentframeworks.com
Mon Nov 1 10:31:18 MST 2004

Patrick,

(<div type="chapter"> is not for Bibles but for chapter books.)

The original post mentions:
Chapter_Head - This seems like a the <title> of a chapter in the same
way that a <div> has a section.  As Chris pointed out there is no type
attribute needed because it follows the <chapter> container (either
milestoned or XML container version).
Chapter_Label - in USFM terms this is just the label that precedes the
number ("Chapter" and not "Chapter 1") but could be repeated for each
chapter.  I think THIS is really a rendering feature.
Chapter_Number - This can be encoded with the "n" attribute of <chapter>
as in <chapter osisID="Ps.1" n="1">.

I don't think the following <title type="chapter"> should be favored and
if we do allow <title type="chapter" then it should be for the
"Chapter_Head" case.

THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT WE SHOULD NOT DO.
I think what you are suggesting would be:
   <title type="main" short="Psalm">Psalms</title>
      <chapter osisID="Ps.1" sID="Ps.1" n="1">
	<chapter eID="Ps.6"/>
	<chapter osisID="Ps.7" sID="Ps.7" n="7"/>
         <title type="chapter">Psalm 7</title>
         <title type="psalm">A shigaion of David, which he sang to the
<divineName>LORD</divineName> concerning Cush, a Benjamite.</title>
            <lg>...
This case SHOULD NOT BE favored by the schema with a type attribute
because "Psalm 7" is simply a rendering issue.

book/chapter/section/...