[osis-core] Add <verse> to <inscription>

Steven J. DeRose sderose at acm.org
Fri Jul 9 08:34:02 MST 2004

At 07:06 -0600 2004-06-14, Todd Tillinghast wrote:
>Patrick and Kees,
>
>The case that I am certain occurs is where the end of an <inscription>
>and the end of a <verse> (almost always a milestone) coincide.
>
>In general we have not specified a guideline(s) regarding what to do
>with overlapping hierarchies when their starting and ending boundaries
>coincide.

True; I think we should state it as a requirement that when overlap
is gratuitous (that is, when there are 2 or more indifferent
placements for a start or end milestone), then the milestone should
be placed so as to avoid overlap between the pseudo-element and any
regular element(s).

>The following is not possible with the current schema:
><verse osisID="..." sID="A"/>...<inscription>.........<verse
>eID="A"/></inscription>.
>
>I don't think there has been very much experience with using
><inscription> because it is one of the elements that often requires
>manual intervention when converting from SFM/USFM (where the many of the
>text are originating from) to OSIS.  As we see greater use I think we
>will see cases where a <verse> starts in the middle of an <inscription>.
>
>Kees, can you comment on the possibility/likelihood of a verse starting
>in the middle of an <inscription>?
>
>Todd

That seems a different question than is posed by the example above --
also a good question, though. I think it doesn't happen among the
handful of inscriptions in the Bible. And though it will surely show
up in the Pseudepigrapha or some completely non-Biblical historical
source, perhaps they won't have verses. I'm ok either way on this one.