[osis-core] 4 issues

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Sat, 31 Jan 2004 14:38:02 -0700

OK, I can tell, since it's taking too long to AGREE WITH ME, that I
didn't make my point clear enough :)

>     o    allow <transChange> in <title> (for Psalm Titles)

Thank you.

>     o    allow <reference> in <hi> (NASB wants to italicize certain
> references in a list for emphesis).

Look at the list of things already allowed in <hi>!  There is no reason
NOT to all <reference> and plus, I NEED it.  This isn't a debate about
how much <hi> sucks.  We all agree.  But if we have concede to use it,
let me USE IT on cases like this that are necessary.  Example from NASB
data (the use {} for italic) in a footnote crossReference:

Matt 1:1-6: {Luke 3:32-34;} Gen 22:18; Gal 3:16

What am I supposed to do with that?  Well, I punted and used <hi>.  If
you don't give me <hi>, it's going in a <seg type="x-italic">

>     o    discuss best practices for saving VALUES.  My case:  I have a
> Greek lexicon with OCCURANCE information.  I want to mark the occurance
> text so I can optionally show or hide it, but would also like to save
> the OCCURANCE DATA in an attribute.  Example:
>
> logos - word
>
>     <seg type="x-occurance:157">This word occurs one hundred and fifty
> seven times in the New Testament</seg>
>

>     the above example is my BEST PRACTICE idea.  But would like to know
> the thoughts of placing the 157 VALUE where I have.

Rational:

<w morph="robinson:N-NSM">

"I'm a WORD who's MORPH is a ROBINSON value N-NSM"

<seg type="x-occurance:157">

"I'm a SEG who's TYPE is a OCCURANCE value 157

>     o    I was assured <w> ATTRIBUTES would NOT be forced to be an
> osisID. This was the purpose of osisGenType.  But in forcing the prefix
> (to which I DID WILLINGLY concede), we seem to have added additional
> restrictions which make my documents invalid.  Here's what we did A LONG
> TIME AGO:
>
> <w
>     lemma="x-Strongs:1234|x-Strongs:2345"
>     morph="x-Robinsons:V-AAI1P|x-Robinsons:N-ASM"
>  >
> eternity
> </w>
>

> from the discussed change, I think I need to:
>
> <w
>     lemma="strongs:1234 strongs:2345"
>     morph="robinsons:V-AAI1P robinsons:N-ASM"
>  >
> eternity
> </w>
>
> But this is not valid.
>
> Problem 1:  WE AGREE NOT TO LIMIT THE TEXT BEYOND NOT INCLUDING A SPACE.
>  Which is what my last example shows, and is still invalid (I think
> because of the '-').  I think this is just an oversight.
>
> Problem 2:  I really liked the '|' better than the space.  I remember
> discussing this with Patrick and I think we decided that we knew of
> codes that included spaces.
>
> MY ARGUMENT:
>
> ' ' is a language script character of many languages.
> '|' is a NOT.  It is a computer symbol used expressly for delimeting
> purposes.
>

> I can:
>
> PREFER: morph="robinsons:V-AAI1P|robinsons:N-ASM"
> LIVE WITH: morph="robinsons:V-AAI1P robinsons:N-ASM"
> REALLY DON'T WANT: to transform lemma/morph values to osisID
> restrictions with an escape character
> CANNOT LIVE WITH: forcing transformation of the lemma/morph values with
> no common escape character

This one's too long.  Just give it to me ;)

Hope you are having a great time out there!!!

		-Troy.