[osis-core] unbalanced <q> elements

Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:34:42 -0700 (MST)

Patrick,

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Patrick Durusau wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Adding this in the bug list I am making for the Users Manual but want to
> make sure I understand the issues:
>
> 1. You want to indicate levels on continuation quotes? I thought
> continuation quotes were just typography and not actual structure in the
> text? In other words, you could use <q> as a milestone and every time
> you pass a boundary where you want the continuation quote mark, simply
> insert one until you reach the other end.
>
> Do have a problem if you have multiple continuation quotes. Is that the
> issue?

Essentially, I want to represent what ABS has in their SFM version
of the TEV.  They indicate single/double quotes.  Some of those are
continuation quotes.  I want to indicate levels as a way of directing the
renderer to do either single or double quotes.

We can't use <q> for marking continuation quotes since we require
sID/eID-type milestone elements to be balanced.  So we added the cQuote
type to the <milestone> element for continuation quotes--but there's no
way to indicate the level when there may be multiple levels of quotation
crossing boundaries.

> 2. What in the world is an unbalanced quote? Whether marked in the text
> not, are we talking about a quote or something that has a quote mark for
> some reason but may or may not be a quote?

It crops up in notes.  The note will have a catchWord element that
reproduces a section of text including one of the quotation marks, but not
its mate.

> If you mean just rendering, couldn't you use a regular q element type =
> "x-unbalanced" and have your stylesheet only insert the leading quote?

The only problem is that this would require allowing milestone elements
(of the sID/eID type) without corresponding elements with the same
sID/eID.  I don't know whether allowing that is a good idea.

--Chris