[osis-core] Protestant, DC, and Cathloc edition Bible book names and overlap

Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:57:40 -0600

In Protestant and Interconfessional Bibles Daniel only has 12 chapters.

In Catholic Bibles Daniel 13 is the same as the interconfessional
Sussana and Daniel 14 the same as interconfessional Bel and the Dragon.

It is a similar issue for Esther/AddEsth and a few other DC books that
are separate in interconfessional editions.

We have allocated OSIS Bible book names for all of the "books" that are
separate in interconfessional editions.

Question 1: What is the best practice for OSIS ids for these passages?
1) Only use the interconfessional OSIS Bible book id in all cases for
consistency.
2) Only use the OSIS Bible book name (Daniel.13) that is used in the
Protestant and Catholic editions (this would imply that we should
eliminate the DC Bible book names).
3) Use the OSIS Bible book name (Daniel.13) when the text is combined
with what is accepted as the Protestant text and use the DC OSIS Bible
book name when it stands alone.
4) Use either or both OSIS Bible book names in all cases.

Question 2: In the January meeting we touched on the issue of marking
cross-references to DC Books with a marker, I think <seg type="x-dc">.
A bigger question has been raised by the folks at the UBS.  Can they
encode in a single set of files (they call a "database") a translation
that will be rendered for Protestant, Catholic, and Interconfessional
audiences?

My opinion is by all means yes.
I see four options:
1) We suggest that they mark the texts using both the DC and Catholic
OSIS Bible book names where both apply and then render the books they
want using the OSIS ids.  The only trick is that there would be "book
introductions" to the DC books that would not apply in the other
editions.  It would seem that these should be marked using something
like <seg type="x-dc">.

2) We suggest that the best practice is to mark with something like <seg
type="x-dc"> and <seg type="x-interconfessional"> the entire blocks of
text that belong to the different editions.

3) We suggest that they create three encodings (with three different
<identifier type="OSIS"> values).

4) We suggest nothing and every man does what is right in his own eyes.

Any solutions?

(On an interesting note, I believe that the translation that has brought
up these issues is the first Bible that is being encoded as an OSIS
document BEFORE it has been printed.)

Todd