[osis-core] Inconsistent use of type on date

Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:06:03 -0400

Steve,

Steven J. DeRose wrote:
> Someone in the tutorial noticed that we use 'type' inconsistently on
> <date>.
>
> In work, we document type as being one of first publication, source
> publication, source printing/imprint, and revdate of the electronic
> edition.

But there is only one type attribute, correct? The header pulls date
from further down in the schema.

Dublin Core says:

Definition: A date of an event in the lifecycle of the resource.

Comment: Typically, Date will be associated with the creation or
availability of the resource. Recommended best practice for encoding the
date value is defined in a profile of ISO 8601 [W3CDTF] and includes
(among others) dates of the form YYYY-MM-DD.

> But, we also have used type 0on date for chinese/gregorian etc.
>
> Uhhhhhh.....
>
> I guess the basic solutions are:
>
> use 'role' for the former values
>    (let's say 'firstpub, sourcepub, imprint, and revision)
>
> leaving 'type' for the calendar systems.

So we would be adding a role attribute to date? Hmmm, would feel better
if that did not carry over into the general schema.

How would you feel about:

dateType (our present chinese/gregorian)

type (whatever, not enumerated)

Problem is my suggestion is not backwards compatible.

Comments?

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick