[osis-core] type on identifier/subject

Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:31:32 -0500

Greetings,

Here is the current thinking:

<identifier type="OSIS">value</identifier> is the programmatic
identifier for a work and each work can have only one identifier elemetn
with type="OSIS".

The "value" within <identifier> should always begin with a prefix, which
can be either:

1. one of the enumerated ones in the user's manual

2. one defined by a work

3. or if the user does not want to declare a work element, then private:.

Note that work can have more than one identifier (or subject), but only
one identifier element can have type="OSIS".

Thus in a single work:

<identifier type="OSIS">fab:Bible.KJV</identifier> (only one of these)

<identifier>ISBN:12345678</identifier</identifier>

<identifier>klingon:Bible.KJV</identifier>

<identifier>private:bible.durusau.org</identifier>

IN ANOTHER WORK, I could have:

<identifier type="OSIS">private:my.best.sermon</identifier>

This preserves the use of type="OSIS on the identifier for programmatic
purposes.

It also provides a way to declare your own prefixes, with a work element
and if you don't want to declare a work, simply use private.

This may or may not be coherent, Clarence has been throwing up all
afternoon and I have written it between trips to take him outside and/or
to clean up the mess when we don't make it. :-(

Hope everyone is having a great day!