Supplemental: Re: [osis-core] type on identifier and subject, syntax of content

Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:19:34 -0700

Patrick,

I read and believe I understand all of the prior posts.

I understand the purpose of type="OSIS" and think it is a good idea.
(Although I think the meaning would be clearer with a different name.)

However, it seems to me that the values for type other than "OSIS" ARE
being used and are intended (if not by you, by others) to perform the
same role as the work prefix.  Do you intend the "type" value on
<identifier> to act in the same role as a prefix before the identifier
value?

Did you read the "proposal" and "benefits" in the post I made last
night?
Was there a flaw in the logic or something that I apparently don't
understand regarding the intent of your posts earlier yesterday?

Either
1) type="ISBN" plays no role in interpreting the system of identifiers
that the body of <identifier> comes from AND a prefix is required
OR
2) type="ISBN" acts in the role of a work prefix and a work prefix is
not necessary

In case #1, the type attribute only serves as a guide but does NOT add
to the interpretation of the value in the body of <identifier>.

In case #2, the type attribute serves two purposes/roles, a work prefix
is required in cases where type="OSIS" is used, AND conflicting
"contexts" can be encoded (<identifier
type="LOC">isbn:123456789</identifier>).

Does you understanding fall into case #1 or case #2 or neither?

Todd