[osis-core] Error on identifier (colon required to match regex)

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 14:05:21 -0700

Todd,
	I'm not really sure about that 'naming authority' issue.  I haven't
really thought about it much.  My main concern was with the mechanism in
the schema.  I need this mechanism to link documents to one another in a
practical and useful way.  This is not my new idea.  This has been in
the idea ever since <identifier type="OSIS"> was introduced long ago.  I
just didn't want to see it fade away.

	First thoughts on naming authorities and prefix in the element VALUE
(per se) of <identifier type="OSIS">:

	I still don't see a use for the prefix.  As stated in my last email,
the only use would possibly be to point to a document that contained a
list of values, but that doesn't especially appeal to me yet.

	Forcing the prefix mean you can NEVER point to the above proposed
document because of recursive logic:  Hmmm, I have a prefix, let's look
for a work element by that name... Oh, I've found one, let's see what
doc it points to... Hmmm, I have a prefix...

	Groups like the FBA can always 'claim' a 'top level domain', and then
can be an authority for the Bibles they control.  As stated in the last
email:

FBA.Bible.es.RVR.1960

	They would have a legitimate complaint if someone else started using a
unique name beginning with FBA... :)

A more appealing convention might be something like:

Bible.es.FBA.RVR.1960

I would think: Bible.es.RVR.1960 would be just fine without the FBA
anyway.  If you have a complaint about the chosen name, you know who to
contact, and can fight it out in a brotherly Christian way, like we
always do :)

	There will be TONS of people writing docs (if our vision comes to be)
that will never 'register' their doc with a 'naming authority'.  Say, a
pastor who just uses the CCEL tool to put all of his sermons in OSIS so
he can access them in CrossWire's software.  He still needs a unique
name so he can reference them from eachother, but he'll probably just do
something like: Griffitts.Troy.Sermon.20031026  Or some other reasonable
naming scheme.

	I think my quickly considered conclusion would be that a naming
authority is fine.  That's great.  I hope large groups like FBA do such
a thing for all of their Bibles.  BUT it should never be required.

	-Troy.