[osis-core] <seg type="otPassage"> and migration paths

Fri, 24 Oct 2003 06:57:15 -0400

Todd,

"what an enumerated type on <seg> of otPassage buys us"...is avoidance
of the semantics (and implied default rendering) of <q> with type
="otPassage".

First thoughts on migration path:

If Troy agrees, we could perhaps return to <seg type="x-otPassage"> and
document that this use of <seg> with "x-" attribute value is intended
for proposed element on which there is insufficient agreement or time to
be included in the schema.

In other words, it is a possible migration path and users should be
aware that <seg "x-*****"> may become full elements in a later release
of the schema. Since stylesheets should (IMHO) be tied to specific
schema releases, if we document the transition from <seg type="x-****"
to a named element, then it should not be that difficult for users to
make the transition.

Second thoughts on migration path:

Note that having the "x-" prefix, however, since it is always allowed on
type for <seg> does not guarantee that all users will use the new
element. With an enumerated type, should the type go away in a future
release, we can enforce the transition, to some degree to the new named
element.

I think having a somewhat enforceable migration path is a good thing.

Hope everyone is at the start of a great day!