[osis-core] Schema: type on language

Sun, 19 Oct 2003 08:22:59 -0600

Chris,

Are you saying that you will not able to sort out which of the many
forms allowed in IETF/xml:lang has been stated and that you would like
to use <language type="...">language code</language> to help sort out
with case has been encoded, but that the values for <language> and
xml:lang would be identical?

That seems resonable.

It also seems unfortunant that the XML/ISO standards bodies have made it
difficult for it to be obvious which standard is being used.  (I am sure
with an enumeration of all possible values you can derive which standard
a value comes from.)

I am not sure why you want to add "French", "English", and "native"?
This would seem to further confuse the situation.  Maybe I don't
understand how you would use them.

Relative to people using codes like "Austronesian (Other)", I think the
documentation should recommend a "concrete" language for xml:lang and
that a <language> entry for "Austronesian (Other)" would be fine to use
within <work> in addition to the "concrete" language code.