Supplemental: Re: [osis-core] osisIdentifier

Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:52:46 -0600

Patrick,

(The way I understand it.) The idea with <identifier
type="OSIS">Bible.es.RVR.1960</identifier> is that the value is a
"standardized" identifier defined by the BibleTechnologies working
group.  However, we have not determined that we want to act in that role
nor have we defined a mechanism for declaring and maintaining such a
list.

The more likely reality is that each genre of texts will establish a
"naming authority".  For example, the Forum of Bible Agencies may act as
the naming of authority for the Bibles of its member Bible agencies (and
possibly for modern translations by other non-Member Bible agencies).
This would leave the naming of ancient text to a group like the SBL.

In answer to your question, we can deprecate <identifier type="OSIS"> if
we want to OR leave it.  I would say we should leave it ONLY if we
intend to act as a "naming authority", which at this point seems like a
role better left to a third party.

So yes, add in <identifier type="OSISREF"> (or <identifier
type="osisRef"> with mixed case because this is not an acronym).

This would lead to:
<osisText osisWorkID="x">
   <header>
      <work osisWork="x">
         <identifier
type="osisRef">fbaWorkNames:Bible.es.RVR.1960</identifier>
      </work>
      <work osisWork="fbaWorkNames">
         <title>Fellowship of Bible Agencies Bible Translation
Names</title>
      </work>
   </header>
</osisText>