[osis-core] continuation quotes

Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:32:35 -0600

All,

I think we need to separate cases where a single _logical_ quote is
interrupted by other text and the rendering mechanism of a continuation
quote mark.

Case 1: The rendering mechanism is just that a rendering mechanism and
does not need to be marked up.

Case 2: First is this common problem that is preventing someone from
encoding something?  Second I am concerned about adding an attribute
that would presumably tie several quotes together without more
consideration.

If I have missed the issue please correct me?

type="otPassage"
> osisRef="Ps.118.22" splitID="split">the builders</q>, but <q
> type="osPassage" osisRef="Ps.118.22" splitID="split">which became the
> chief corener</q> stone.</verse>
> <verse>And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other
name
> under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be
saved."<q
> sID="someRef"/></verse></p>
>
> As I mentioned, the most common presentation used for the NASB is to
> print every verse on a new line.  With that presentation, verse
> boundaries that occur in the middle of a quotation cause an extra open
> quotation mark to be generated at the start of the new verse.
>
> There is however, another presentation format common to printed NASBs
> that uses traditional paragraph formatting.  In this case, extra open
> quotation marks would only be generated if a quotation crosses a
> paragraph boundary.
>
> The two styles of presentation can be controlled by separate
stylesheets
> without much difficulty. Adding <q/> milestones for continuation
quotes
> would result typographically-motivated markup.  Encoders will place
the
> milestones where they believe quotation marks should appear according
> the presentation they envision, without regard to alternative
> presentation forms.  For English texts that add extra open quotation
> marks, encoders will tend to add only start milestones without
matching
> end milestones.  And if they DID actually encode texts correctly, it
> would still void Troy's position that using <q/> must result in the
> generation of a quotation mark character of some type.
>
> It seems to me that putting different sorts of quotation marks at the
> start & end of initial, medial, and final blocks of quotations
spanning
> paragraphs (or verses, as in NASB) is no more difficult than putting
> open quotes on all blocks & close quotes only on the final, as in
English.

> > This knowledge is also needed to do sensible searching: "Where did
Jesus