[osis-core] 1.9.5 (no errors) -- Strong's numbers

Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:48:02 -0700

Patrick Durusau wrote:

> Any thing else that looks like a critical issue?
>
> BTW, since we are getting close to a major and hopefully stable release,
> please let me know when I can call tomorrow or Friday (Chris, please
> send a phone number off list) to make one final round of the group
> before we close the blast doors and fire our weapons. ;-)

Patrick,

I'm quite hesitant to mention this, especially so near release, but your
mention of moving into a stable major release suggests maybe we should
address this now, especially since the solution is fairly obvious and
painless to implement.

Moving towards 1.0, we added the lemma attribute to the <w> element as a
way to contain data such as Strong's number.  The attribute has the type
attributeExtension since we didn't want to deal with the issues
surrounding it at that point.

Now heading into 2.0, Strong's numbers are one of the few instances
where I still find I need to use attributeExtension, though it is a
fairly pedestrian need.

I would recommend (unless we just decide to put it off a while
longer--which I could certainly understand):

1) create a simple type, "osisLemma" that contains a single enumerated
value: "Strong"
2) create a simple type, "wLemma" that is the union "osisLemma" and
"attributeExtension"
3) change the type of lemma to "wLemma"

Documentation should indicate that valid values would match the regex
[HG][1-9][0-9]{,3}  (H = Hebrew, G = Greek, 1-4 digit Strong's numbers
without leading zeroes; this is the standard format used in most print &
software versions.)

--Chris