[osis-core] osisSubjects?

Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:52:39 -0700

Todd & Patrick,

Conceptually, Todd's suggestion is good, but I don't know how it would
work out in practice.  I would tend to favor our current implementation
(with defined values in osisSubjects).  Reasons below:

1) I think the set of possible values is pretty low.  There aren't that
many groups defining their own subject classification systems.

2) Symmetry with similar uses elsewhere in OSIS.  Usage of type on
subject is very similar to usage of type on identifier (to my mind),
which has values enumerated in osisIdentifier.

3) It requires reference to documents that don't exist and probably
never will, in some cases because of copyright restrictions, in other
cases because of unwieldily huge amounts of data.

4) The form of subject values is nothing like our osisIDs in form.  For
examples, LCSH subjects include things like, "Bible--Dictionaries.", "
Bible. English--Versions.", "Bible. N.T. Greek. 1871.", and "Bible.
N.T.--Commentaries.".  I think, given that a full inventory of the LCSH
would be essentially impossible to encode in a document, and would need
almost constant updating, the form given by the LOC is probably best
retained in each OSIS document that uses an LCSH itself.  In the absense
of a document that actually defines mappings of osisID-like strings to
actual subject values, implementers will invent their own attempted
mappings and we'll void any possibility of interoperability.

5) If people need values other than what we provide they can suggest
them for inclusion in the next revision and/or use the
attributeExtension mechanism.

--Chris