[osis-core] paragraph break defended once again.

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:34:15 -0700

Chris,
	Thank you for the reply.  I still disagree about both cases.  The point
about MSS usage was for fragments.  In an ancient fragment, we don't
always have or know the markings.

	But the MSS usage was only meant as supporting matter.  My real problem
right now is that I disagree with you about the paragraph breaks in the
NASB.  Let me be explicite in my cite of what I feel is ambiguous markup
in the NASB and maybe we can find an agreement on at least this case--
which might move us closer to an agreement on the topic.

I believe these text divisions are exactly the same as we use paragraph
markers.

Matthew 1:25-2:1 in Lockman's data:

{{40:1}}25 <N1>but kept<MG3756, 1097> her a virgin<MG3756, 1097>
until<MG2193> she <RA>gave<MG5088> birth<MG5088> to a Son<MG5207>; and
<RB>he called<MG2564> His name<MG3686> Jesus<MG2424>.
CHAPTER 2
<SH>The Visit of the Magi
{{40:2}}1 Now<MG1161> after Jesus<MG2424> was <RA>born<MG1080> in
Bethlehem<MG965> of Judea<MG2453> in the days<MG2250> of
<RB>Herod<MG2264> the king<MG935>, <N1>magi<MG3097> from the east<MG395>
arrived<MG3854> in Jerusalem<MG2414>, saying<MG3004>,

Notice no <PM> markers are present in the above.  And by your proposal
that Lockman wishes a new paragraph break here, it seems to work fine.

Matthew 8:34-9:2

{{40:8}}34 And behold<MG2400>, the whole<MG3956> city<MG4172>
came<MG1831> out to meet<MG5222> Jesus<MG2424>; and when they
saw<MG3708> Him, <RA>they implored<MG3870> Him to leave<MG3327> their
region<MG3725>.
CHAPTER 9
<SH>A Paralytic Healed
{{40:9}}1 Getting<MG1684> into a boat<MG4143>, Jesus crossed<MG1276>
over<MG1276> {the sea} and came<MG2064> to <RA>His own<MG2398> city<MG4172>.
<PM>{{40:9}}2 <RA>And they brought<MG4374> to Him a
<RB>paralytic<MG3885> lying<MG906> on a bed<MG2825b>. Seeing<MG3708>
their faith<MG4102>, Jesus<MG2424> said<MG3004> to the
paralytic<MG3885>, <RS>``<RC>Take<MG2293> courage<MG2293>,
<N1>son<MG5043>; <RD>your sins<MG266> are forgiven<MG863>."<RT>

Notice the <PM> marker after Matthew 9:1  This leads me to believe that
they indent 9:1 to go with the previous paragraph ending Chapter 8

Thanks for your time with me on this one.

	-Troy.