[osis-core] references with grains

Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:12:22 -0400

Todd,

Will defer to Steve when he gives a canonical answer but here goes:

Todd Tillinghast wrote:
> Consider the following references:
>
> <reference osisRef="1Tim.3.8@s[They]"/>
> <reference osisRef="1Tim.3.8@s[They]-1Tim.3.8@s[money.]"/>
>
> When the last string in 1Tim.3.8 is "money."
>
> Question 1: Are the two references equivalent?

What do you mean by equivalent?

You get the same content (possibly) but that depends on the behavior of
the application. One that returns verses in response to this query will
give the same content but that does not mean the references are equivalent.

> Question 2: Are we saying that when a grain in present in the first part
> of a range that it is the starting with the text in the brackets and
> with the second part of the range that text in the brackets is the

Assuming you mean to say "end of the text" after "brakets is the..." I
think the answer is yes.

> Question 3: If you specify an osisRef with NO range AND a grain does
> that mean
> a) a point before the string in the brackets
> b) the contents within the brackets
> c) the text stating at the first of the text in the brackets to the end
> of the verse.

I think c) but what you get from that point on (to the end of the verse,
etc.) is application specific (or chosen by the user).

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick