[osis-core] paragraph break defended once again.

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 15:11:02 -0700

http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/Vaticanus/general.html#div

>  There is no ambiguity as to what is intended by their use of their DTD
> in their document--in fact it's probably the cleanest & most lucidly
> marked document I've ever encountered.

Well, to cite an example for you.  Just looking briefly, reading the
text would make one assume that there should be a paragraph break
between Mat. 1 and Mat 2.  Also, if I had to guess, I would probably not
place a paragraph break between Mat. 8 and 9.

I just don't want to have to read the text and guess-- that's all.

> Let me put it this way: Paragraph breaks necessarily follow (or possibly
> come between?) paragraphs.  In order to have one, you must have the
> other.  Paragraphs are blocks of content that deserve to go inside a
> container (<p>).  What Troy is suggesting is that there is no such thing
> as a paragraph in the NASB--only paragraph breaks.

I am not suggesting that the NASB does not have a concept of a paragraph
container.  I'm suggesting that they do not have unambiguous markup of
these, and I don't feel it is the encoder's task to unambiguate the
containers.

I also see other uses for a paragraph break marker, like in mss markup
or other fragment markup (possibly including modern document segments)

I think it is important to know what is and is not one's task and place,
and I am merely pulling for a way to be a faithful encoder and not
overstep my role.

	-Troy.