[osis-core] OT Quote in NT

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Mon, 06 Oct 2003 22:18:41 -0700

Hey Chris,
	Thanks for the pertinent, articulate reply.  However, I still disagree.
  Through many ages of English grammar, a QUOTE (") has meant a small
set of specific things.  I think assigning this traditional meaning of
the English term QUOTE to our usage of our tag <q> is a wise thing.

	The NASB and other Bible translations did not feel that QUOTE (") was
proper to use for these entities in Scripture, and neither do I.  They
are a very specific and different thing, and it would not be intuitive
for an encoder to use <q> for such a thing, as he would think that using
<q> would assign an attribute to the text which was more, or rather
different, than what he wants to assign.

	Just to sum up:

	I believe that <q> SHOULD always be renderable with QUOTE (", ', `, et.
al.)

	I believe that when literal translations render a segment as SMALL CAPS
in the New Testament what they feel is a reference or allusions to the
Old Testament, they assign a meaning that, when one thinks of QUOTE ("),
is only dangerously in error.

	-Troy.