[osis-core] User's Manual - .09! comments

Steven J. DeRose osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:40:30 -0500

--============_-1142858769==_ma============

Nice caveats at the beginning, but lose the "!"s.

Let's call it "Draft" rather than alpha or beta.

"This manual is meant to be a guide for all user's of the OSIS" lose
the apostrophe.

Do we have a CSS we can refer from a stylesheet PI, so the doc can be
loaded as-is and at least somewhat display in browsers?

Should we have comments directed to the osis user list as
well/instead of us? Should we list you as (at least) primary editor)?
And the inner core me, troy, todd, chris?) as co-editors?

Can we get vspace between LIs?

"recognized by form-aware processors" -- probably need a note
pointing to some info on what an architectural form is -- or, we
could add a glossary at some point.

"See Appendix ***, Validating Your OSIS Document" -- resolve stars,
and set title italic

(BTW, I have a real nice Goudy cursive 18pt you could use for that --
is lead truetype-compatible?)

"(for example, you can't insert a Bible book within a footnote)" --
isn't that untrue, because books are a type of div, and div is
probably (?) allowed in footnote? not sure.

" can be downloaded as a package from the OSIS website." let's at
least put in the link and a dummy page.

"Most such programs also read an XML schema" -- should we note in
passing that there are three schema languages, and that OSIS is at
this time only provided in XML-Schema form? And maybe a pointer to
trang?

Nice that you've bolded tag names in the text.

"The value will generally be the short name of what is being encoded,
in this case the Contemporary English Version, or CEV." -- Mention
":The short name is defined in the *work* declaration for the work,
described later."

"that it number the proscriptions" -- "s"

" It is called "canonical", and always have a value" -- have/has

"Note that the match between osisIDWork="CEV" in osisText and
osisWork="CEV" in the work element links this osisText to this
particular work element. "  -- add after: This *work* element should
(must?) be the first work element."

"See Appendix G: USMARC Relator Codes for the complete list of role
codes provided by the USMARC organization." This list covers an
enormous range, and it should seldom if ever be necessary to use a
code not from this list.

"Publisher element in the work element" -- Prepend "The"

"The type attribute must be set to "ISO-639," "ISO-639-2," or "SIL,""
-- bold theattribute  values (and throughout)

Under "type" attribute:  Add "Note that the Dublin Core type element
is distinct from the OSIS type attribute (the latter can occcur on
any OSIS element, to distinguish relevant subdivisions of the type).

Under Identifier: All the abbreviations are all-caps except the
*first* one, "Dewey". Suggestions: Change to "DEWEY"; put some
delimiter between the abbrevvs and their descriptions; note that as
with other names and values, these are case-sensitive

"Note that without the proper type attribute" -- bold type

"HOwever,"

"(particular older works)," --> "ly"

NB: We may want to write an LC-scraper that takes a pointer to a
directory full of OSIS texts, grabs out the author names, and looks
them up in LC to find their authority entry, and copy that entry for
us. We could also introduce a standard authority-list format (say,
topic maps/PSIs in a particular form? And a tool to convert LC
authority entries into that form? nice shot in the arm for us, topic
maps, and for stdzn of auth lists, which LC has not yet managed....

7.5. Date formats" -- this appears to be the third distinct date
format we introduce -- Can we collapse the prior syntaxes with this
one? (mostly an issue of colons vs. dots, and what truncations are
allowed, I think)?

"In such works, use the osisID attribute to identify the retrievable
portions" -- bold attr name.

"as found in standard work easier" -- s

"so long as verses and chapter " -- s

"The paragraph need not give an osisID for the set of verse " -- s

"there are exceptions to this, " append "elsewhere in the Bible"

"Sometimes a verse or chapter starts or end " -- s

"Elements that are "milestoneable" in the OSIS schema are" -- Prepend
" Empty elements are indicated in XML by a tag with "/" preceding the
used in this way are commonly called "milestones", and those
particular elements in OSIS that permit this alternate encoding are
thus called "milestoneable".

"A way to declare the list of characters, or castList;" bold element name

"to be listed separatelyl; "

"of an individualmaking an"

"Note that in this example the high priest's short speech in verse 1
is marked up as a normal container element with normal start- and
end-tags, because it fits within the bounds of the verse. However,
Stephen's speech starts in the middle of verse 2 and continues to the
end of verse 53. This necessitates marking up verse 2 using a
milestone pair, as shown. The other verses are entirely enclosed
within the speech, and so need not be marked up using milstone pairs.
When a conflict arises between the scope of chapter/verse units and
other units, the chapter/verse units give way by being represented as
milestones. If a conflict arises between two other units (say, a
quote that encompasses part but not all of each of two paragraphs),
it is left to the encoder's discretion which or them is represented
via milestones." -- Did we prohibit this a little earlier where we
said you can't mixed milestoned and non-milestoned elements? or was
that just for verses and chapters? Have to clarify this or it looks
like a contradiction.

"Thus, like TEI, markup of poetry refers to lines and line groups. "
-- quote or embolden

"The lg or "line group" element " -- bold

"Thus it covers for units like couple" -- append "t"

"The l element " -- bold

NB: Can we reduce the vertical space above and below examples?

Add example for <lb/>. Also add bold in description where appropriate.

"12.6.4. table" -- we should at least say whether nested tables are permitted.

"rather then just within either" s/then/than/

" For example, <milestone type="page> n="3"/>" -- turn gt into quote
to fix syntax.

Lay out predefined types the same everywhere -- I like the way the
milestone types are done, and would match the others to it. Except,
I'd also bold the labels.

"The start of the first column need not be marked " -- Prepend
"Assuming page boundaries are also marked,"

Reference: add example?

"<verse osisID="NRSV:Mark.5.41">He took her by the hand and said to
line -- break it up so it stays visible.

"Provides simple text highlighting capability; types can " -- s/types
can/types that can

" the <hi> element" -- lose brackets and gain bold (likewise anywhere
else this happens)

"If it is known why a word or phrase "  -- s/known/known with
reasonable certainty"

At end of "hi" section append: If needed, additional types may be
added, but must begin with "x-".

"Your are Simon sone of John" -- s/sone/son/

"Remember that a computer cannot distinguish Job, as in the man from
Ur, from job, as in 'I have a job for you...' without your
assistance" -- append (at least at the beginning of a sentence)

"Any use of any form of the name of the Deity is marked with
divineName. " -- In that case, how do we formally distinguish the
tetragrammaton? type on divinename? should we enumerate the extant
Biblical phrases as types, such as el, el shaddai, el elyon, ado---,
y---, etc.?

"boudnaries"

" At this time it is intended for use within notehi> elements." -- fix

"This example illustrates (or reinforces several points):" -- move
")" left 2 words

"A note appear" -- s

Under "w": at least list permitted attributes and their meanings, and
note that we're working on a linguistic annotation module..

"To identify a reference ito</i> a" -- fix

"For example, pThe correctness" -- fix

" The scope element " -- bold

"(without the colon, it would be interpreted as a top-level
identifier within the work)." -- s/the work/the default work/

"(introded by Whittingham about ????)," -- typo, finish & add ref?

"The parts of an osisID may contain any mixture of numbers, letters,
hyphens, and underscore. However, to avoid conflict with the other
punctuations used (such as ":" to separate the work from the in-work
location, "@" to separate fine-grained references in osisRefs, and
"!" to separate work-specifiec extensions to a versification scheme),
no other characters are allowed. " -- is it true hyphens are allowed?
Doesn't that croak range syntax?

""!" as the terminator (after which encoders may append names and/or
numbers to provide finer-grained reference points)." -- Explain what
this is doing here -- too abrupt transition.

NB: We should state that there is no need for an explicit work
element to declare the reference systems whose names we have
predefined. Probably say that here, and earlier where they are listed.

"or a section heading in the Mark " -- lose "the"
"within a given canonically-reference unit." -- d

"To refer to specific locations within a named canonical reference
element" -- prepend subhead "Fine-grained references".

"No markup included within the element specifies" -- d

NB: Under this section, what shall we say about ignorable whitespace?

"purposes of layout or printing" -- add ", indexing, "

"Thus, the intuitive count will not be changed by the insertion of
notes, references, critical apparatus, and the like)." -- balance ()

"Grains: s finds " -- replace with "s (short for "string") finds"

"BTG intends to develop an XML schema for declaration files that can
express such systems, and their mapping to other systems. This work
has not been completed. However, we reserve the following names for
versification schemes we already know to be relevant:

     Hebrew
     NA27
     SamPent
     LXX" -- synchronize this list with the earlier one (perhaps just
by cross-referencing and deleting it here).

"The header must include work declarations for the document itself,
and for the versification system it uses.
" -- perhaps append "except that the predefined versification systems
need not have work declarations."

"actualloy"

"unproofead"

"Howeve,"

That's all I got. It's looking pretty good; very few bits missing,
good examples, etc.

Hurrah!

Steve DeRose -- http://www.derose.net
Chair, Bible Technologies Group -- http://www.bibletechnologies.net
Email: sderose@acm.org  or  steve@derose.net
--============_-1142858769==_ma============

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
 --></style><title>Re: [osis-core] User's Manual - .09!
OSIS&quot; lose the apostrophe.</div>
can be loaded as-is and at least somewhat display in browsers?</div>
well/instead of us? Should we list you as (at least) primary editor)?
And the inner core me, troy, todd, chris?) as co-editors?</div>
color="#000000">recognized by form-aware processors</font>&quot; --
probably need a note pointing to some info on what an architectural
form is -- or, we could add a glossary at some point.</div>
Appendix ***, Validating Your OSIS Document</font>&quot; -- resolve
stars, and set title italic</div>
that -- is lead truetype-compatible?)</div>
example, you can't insert a Bible book within a footnote)</font>&quot;
-- isn't that untrue, because books are a type of div, and div is
probably (?) allowed in footnote? not sure.</div>
be downloaded as a package from the OSIS website.</font>&quot; let's
at least put in the link and a dummy page.</div>
such programs also read an XML schema&quot; -- should we note in
passing that there are three schema languages, and that OSIS is at
this time only provided in XML-Schema form? And maybe a pointer to
trang?</font></div>
you've bolded tag names in the text.</font></div>
value will generally be the short name of what is being encoded, in
this case the Contemporary English Version, or CEV.&quot; -- Mention
&quot;:The short name is defined in the *work* declaration for the
work, described later.&quot;</font></div>
it number the proscriptions&quot; -- &quot;s&quot;</font></div>
is called &quot;canonical&quot;, and always have a value&quot; --
have/has</font></div>
element. &quot;&nbsp; -- add after: This *work* element should (must?)
be the first work element.&quot;</font></div>
Appendix G: USMARC Relator Codes for the complete list of role codes
provided by the USMARC organization.&quot; This list covers an
enormous range, and it should seldom if ever be necessary to use a
code not from this list.</font></div>
color="#000000">&quot;Publisher element in the work element&quot; --
Prepend &quot;The&quot;</font></div>
type attribute must be set to &quot;ISO-639,&quot; &quot;ISO-639-2,&quot;
or &quot;SIL,&quot;&quot; -- bold theattribute&nbsp; values (and
throughout)</font></div>
&quot;type&quot; attribute:&nbsp; Add &quot;Note that the Dublin Core
type element is distinct from the OSIS type attribute (the latter can
occcur on any OSIS element, to distinguish relevant subdivisions of
the type).</font></div>
Identifier: All the abbreviations are all-caps except the *first* one,
&quot;Dewey&quot;. Suggestions: Change to &quot;DEWEY&quot;; put some
delimiter between the abbrevvs and their descriptions; note that as
with other names and values, these are case-sensitive</font></div>
that without the proper type attribute&quot; -- bold type</font></div>
color="#000000">&quot;HOwever,&quot;</font></div>
color="#000000">&quot;(particular older works),&quot; --&gt;
&quot;ly&quot;</font></div>
want to write an LC-scraper that takes a pointer to a directory full
of OSIS texts, grabs out the author names, and looks them up in LC to
find their authority entry, and copy that entry for us. We could also
introduce a standard authority-list format (say, topic maps/PSIs in a
particular form? And a tool to convert LC authority entries into that
form? nice shot in the arm for us, topic maps, and for stdzn of auth
lists, which LC has not yet managed....</font></div>
Date formats&quot;</b></font> -- this appears to be the third distinct
date format we introduce -- Can we collapse the prior syntaxes with
this one?<font face="Times New Roman" size="+1" color="#000000">
(mostly an issue of colons vs. dots, and what truncations are allowed,
I think)?</font></div>
such works, use the osisID attribute to identify the retrievable
portions&quot; -- bold attr name.</font></div>
found in standard work easier&quot; -- s</font></div>
long as verses and chapter &quot; -- s</font></div>
paragraph need not give an<b> osisID</b> for the set of verse &quot;
-- s</font></div>
color="#000000">&quot;there are exceptions to this, &quot; append
&quot;elsewhere in the Bible&quot;</font></div>
starts or end &quot; -- s</font></div>
color="#000000">&quot;Elements that are &quot;milestoneable&quot; in
the OSIS schema are&quot; -- Prepend &quot; Empty elements are
indicated in XML by a tag with &quot;/&quot; preceding the final
&quot;&gt;&quot;: thus &quot;&lt;verse/&gt;&quot; rather than
&lt;verse&gt; or &lt;/verse&gt;. Elements used in this way are
commonly called &quot;milestones&quot;, and those particular elements
in OSIS that permit this alternate encoding are thus called
&quot;milestoneable&quot;.</font></div>
way to declare the list of characters, or castList;&quot; bold element
name</font></div>
be listed separatelyl; &quot;</font></div>
an individualmaking an&quot;</font></div>
that in this example the high priest's short speech in verse 1 is
marked up as a normal container element with normal start- and
end-tags, because it fits within the bounds of the verse. However,
Stephen's speech starts in the middle of verse 2 and continues to the
end of verse 53. This necessitates marking up verse 2 using a
milestone pair, as shown. The other verses are entirely enclosed
within the speech, and so need not be marked up using milstone pairs.
When a conflict arises between the scope of chapter/verse units and
other units, the chapter/verse units give way by being represented as
milestones. If a conflict arises between two other units (say, a quote
that encompasses part but not all of each of two paragraphs), it is
left to the encoder's discretion which or them is represented via
milestones.&quot; -- Did we prohibit this a little earlier where we
said you can't mixed milestoned and non-milestoned elements? or was
that just for verses and chapters? Have to clarify this or it looks
like a contradiction.</font></div>
color="#000000">&quot;Thus, like TEI, markup of poetry refers to lines
and line groups. &quot; -- quote or embolden</font></div>
lg or &quot;line group&quot; element &quot; -- bold</font></div>
it covers for units like couple&quot; -- append
&quot;t&quot;</font></div>
l element &quot; -- bold</font></div>
reduce the vertical space above and below examples?</font></div>
example for &lt;lb/&gt;. Also add bold in description where
appropriate.</font></div>
at least say whether nested tables are permitted.</div>
color="#000000">&quot;rather then just within either&quot;
s/then/than/</font></div>
example, &lt;milestone type=&quot;page&gt; n=&quot;3&quot;/&gt;&quot;
-- turn gt into quote to fix syntax.</font></div>
predefined types the same everywhere -- I like the way the milestone
types are done, and would match the others to it. Except, I'd also
bold the labels.</font></div>
start of the first column need not be marked &quot; -- Prepend
&quot;Assuming page boundaries are also marked,&quot;</font></div>
add example?</font></div>
color="#000000">&quot;</font><font face="Courier New" size="-3"
color="#000000">&lt;verse osisID=&quot;NRSV:Mark.5.41&quot;&gt;He took
her by the hand and said to her: &lt;q&gt;&lt;foreign
xml:lang=&quot;arc&quot;&gt;Talitha cum&lt;/foreign&gt;&lt;/q&gt;,
which means, &lt;q&gt;Little girl, get up!&lt;/q&gt;&lt;/verse&gt;&quot;
-- preformatted line too line -- break it up so it stays
visible.</font></div>
color="#000000">&quot;Provides simple text highlighting capability;
types can &quot; -- s/types can/types that can</font></div>
&lt;hi&gt; element&quot; -- lose brackets and gain bold (likewise
anywhere else this happens)</font></div>
it is known why a word or phrase &quot;&nbsp; -- s/known/known with
reasonable certainty&quot;</font></div>
&quot;hi&quot; section append: If needed, additional types may be
added, but must begin with &quot;x-&quot;.</font></div>
color="#000000">&quot;</font><font face="Courier New" size="-3"
color="#000000">Your are Simon sone of John</font><font
face="Times New Roman" size="+1" color="#000000">&quot; --
s/sone/son/</font></div>
color="#000000">&quot;Remember that a computer cannot distinguish<i>
for you...' without your assistance&quot; -- append (at least at the
beginning of a sentence)</font></div>
use of any form of the name of the Deity is marked with<i>
divineName</i>. &quot; -- In that case, how do we formally distinguish
the tetragrammaton? type on divinename? should we enumerate the extant
Biblical phrases as types, such as el, el shaddai, el elyon, ado---,
y---, etc.?</font></div>
color="#000000">&quot;</font>boudnaries<font face="Times New Roman"
size="+1" color="#000000">&quot;</font></div>
this time it is intended for use within<b> note</b>hi&gt; elements.&quot;
-- fix</font></div>
example illustrates (or reinforces several points):&quot; -- move
&quot;)&quot; left 2 words</font></div>
note appear&quot; -- s</font></div>
&quot;w&quot;: at least list permitted attributes and their meanings,
and note that we're working on a linguistic annotation
module..</font></div>
scope element &quot; -- bold</font></div>
color="#000000">&quot;(without the colon, it would be interpreted as a
top-level identifier within the work).&quot; -- s/the work/the default
work/</font></div>
color="#000000">&quot;(introded by Whittingham about ????),&quot; --
typo, finish &amp; add ref?</font></div>
parts of an osisID may contain any mixture of numbers, letters,
hyphens, and underscore. However, to avoid conflict with the other
punctuations used (such as &quot;:&quot; to separate the work from the
in-work location, &quot;@&quot; to separate fine-grained references in
osisRefs, and &quot;!&quot; to separate work-specifiec extensions to a
versification scheme), no other characters are allowed. &quot; -- is
it true hyphens are allowed? Doesn't that croak range
syntax?</font></div>
color="#000000">&quot;&quot;!&quot; as the terminator (after which
encoders may append names and/or numbers to provide finer-grained
reference points).&quot; -- Explain what this is doing here -- too
abrupt transition.</font></div>
should state that there is no need for an explicit work element to
declare the reference systems whose names we have predefined. Probably
say that here, and earlier where they are listed.</font></div>
section heading in the Mark &quot; -- lose
&quot;the&quot;</font></div>
color="#000000">&quot;within a given canonically-reference unit.&quot;
-- d</font></div>
refer to specific locations within a named canonical reference
element&quot; -- prepend subhead &quot;Fine-grained
references&quot;.</font></div>
markup included within the element specifies&quot; -- d</font></div>
this section, what shall we say about ignorable
whitespace?</font></div>
color="#000000">&quot;purposes of layout or printing&quot; -- add
&quot;, indexing, &quot;</font></div>
color="#000000">&quot;Thus, the intuitive count will not be changed by
the insertion of notes, references, critical apparatus, and the
like).&quot; -- balance ()</font></div>
color="#000000">&quot;Grains: s finds &quot; -- replace with &quot;s
(short for &quot;string&quot;) finds&quot;</font></div>
intends to develop an XML schema for declaration files that can
express such systems, and their mapping to other systems. This work
has not been completed. However, we reserve the following names for
versification schemes we already know to be relevant:<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Hebrew<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; NA27<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; SamPent</font></div>
LXX&quot; -- synchronize this list with the earlier one (perhaps just
by cross-referencing and deleting it here).</font></div>
header must include work declarations for the document itself, and for
the versification system it uses.</font></div>
perhaps append &quot;except that the predefined versification systems
need not have work declarations.&quot;</font></div>
color="#000000">&quot;actualloy&quot;</font></div>
color="#000000">&quot;unproofead&quot;</font></div>
color="#000000">&quot;Howeve,&quot;</font></div>
I got. It's looking pretty good; very few bits missing, good examples,
etc.</font></div>
color="#000000">Hurrah!</font></div>
color="#000000">S</font></div>
<x-sigsep><pre>--