[osis-core] NRSVA?

Mon, 17 Nov 2003 10:40:31 -0700

Patrick,

The problem with using NRSVA or NRSV is that when a "competing" Bible
agency is encoding their Bible they will not want to say they are using
the NRSV reference system, also people in general are not aware that
there are reference systems.  As such if we tell them "if you are
encoding a Bible the reference system is almost always 'Bible'" no one
will be confused.

If we tell people they need to use the NRSV reference system they will
likely say but I am not encoding the NRSV, what is the difference
between the NRSV and other reference systems.

If we simply say use "Bible" then no one is confused.  (Behind the
scenes we can take the set of identifiers use in the NRSV or NRSVA and
declare them to be "Bible".)

I think if we tell people to ONLY use "Bible", "Bible.Hebrew", or
"Bible.French" (or what ever we call "Bible.French") no one will be
confused.  Espically if we give one sentence saying that the
"Bible.Hebrew" and "Bible.French" are to be used to accommodate the
variations in verse and chapter numbering in Psalms.

Ps.1.1.a