[osis-core] Linguistic Annotation Module Design Document - general inquiries & suggestions

Fri, 07 Nov 2003 02:51:13 -0600

Kirk,

I finally have a moment between assigned readings to attend to your
proposal and give some comment.

Might I suggest a shorter element name than <morpheme> (like simple <m>,
for instance)?  For a text marked at the morpheme level, that's going to
add an awful lot of unnecessary bulk, while a single-letter element name
would still be transparent since it would occur only within <w> elements.

In the Basic Concepts section, it is mentioned that Hebrew, Aramaic, &
Greek will be the first order of business, while other languages are
handled by later revisions.  Do I understand clearly that "later
revisions" means that these three languages will be the only ones
handled in the first _public_ release and only subsequent _public_
releases will handle other languages, or does "later revisions" refer to
various in-house revisions along the road to an initial public release?
A related question: is it the intent that the schema itself "include
everything that annotation of any language will need" in the first
release, but actual "language declaration documents" would only be
prepared for Hebrew, Aramaic, & Greek (initially)?

It's my feeling that the the OSIS LA schema should represent
elements/attributes/values in the same way as OSIS itself does, namely
in camel-case, where applicable.  (E.g. "homograph_number" would be
"homographNumber" instead.)

Okay, that's it for my general comments.  I'll comment on linguistic
issues tomorrow.

--Chris