[osis-core] Reference to an entire work.

Sat, 17 May 2003 13:45:11 -0400

>Patrick,
>
>One more for the issues list: There are references in the introduction
>section of the CEV that would seem best encoded as a reference to an
>entire work.  At present we can not specify a reference to an entire
>work.  How should such a beast be encoded?

I really don't think we need to revisit the work issue unless the entire
core technical group agrees. We have been over this for hours on end and
while you have consistently stuck to your position, it has failed to
attract another supporter. We can and do have the abililty to reference
an entire work. I don't have the cycles this weekend to go back over all
the arguments on this topic and quite honestly, I consider it closed.

I am sorry that for all your beautiful and productive work that we have
been unable to reach a common understanding on this one issue but I
really don't see any benefit coming from further consideration of it. At
some point we simply have to move onto other issues. I understand that
you continue to disagree but in fact we are encoding texts with
references to entire works with no apparent difficulty. It is not
impossible that at some future date we may wish to reopen this issue but
it consumed the better part of an evening in Toronto and we really don't
have that kind of time in the upcoming Dallas meeting.

I am willing to put the issue of how to encode a reference to an entire
work under best practices but the answer is going to be the same one
that has been recited all along with no discussion of possible
alternative ways with another schema that such references could be made.