[osis-core] Reference that includes the grain portion to a block of text with multiple identifiers in the osisID.

Thu, 15 May 2003 18:52:58 -0400

>Patrick,
>
>How would you form a reference that includes the grain portion for a
>block of text that has multiple identifiers in the osisID?
>
>With osisID="Matt.1.2 Matt.1.3 Matt.1.4" would osisRef="Matt.1.2@ch14"
>be the SAME as osisRef="Matt.1.3@ch14"?

Errr, not sure I understand the issue but let me say it back and see if
I am close.

In other words, we have an element that has a list of osisIDs, in your
example, a sequential range of verses. And, we want to use osisRef to
address a particular character from the osisID?

Seems to me that you have uncovered a weakness in the list osisID or at
least a limitation on the use of osisRef in connection with it. For
addressing purposes, I think you would have to start from the first
osisID and count inward. I don't see a way to select the second, third,
etc., osisID as your starting point because with the list osisID, it is
not identified in the text stream. For osisRef, I think you have to
start from the first osisID, when it is a list.

Probably should require an error if an osisRef attempts to address
something other than the first osisID. Problem is that most addressing
is going to be blind, that is, the user will not know if you have used
the osisIDs as a list or not. Hmmm, may need to think about that.

Hope you are having a great day!