[osis-core] Annotations and Extending the Schema

Thu, 15 May 2003 13:47:37 -0600

Patrick,

There was a conversation on a Friday (may have been Thursday at the
time) where we discussed creating behavior similar but different from
note for annotations.  I posted two items related to annotations in late
February.  I just forwarded them to you.

There has been a lot of discussion around annotations and there seem to
be different requirements than note.  One difference I see (others may
have their own perspective) is that a <note> is limited to a single
osisRef, where an annotation may have several points that it is "about".
The idea I posted earlier was to have the following structure rather
than "osisRef".

<ann>
	<annotationOf>
		<reference osisRef="Ps.1.1"/>
		<reference osisRef="Ps.9.4"/>
		<!-- and/or possibly some other text -->
	</annotationOf>
	main discussion in the same form as a note
</ann>

This structure is obviously better suited for stand off markup.

In any case I was trying to put an example on the issues and needs
raised related to annotations and found it difficult to extend the
schema.