[osis-core] Should we allow <divineName> in <catchWord>

Tue, 13 May 2003 23:00:45 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Patrick Durusau wrote:

> ><catchWord> has been pretty difficult to work with.  I think we should
> >either include all of the options available in normal text OR make
> >catchWord have only a sequence of one or more <reference> elements that
> >refer to the current document AND use the grain.  Multiple <reference>
> >elements would be used if there are ellipsis are desired.
> >
> Maybe it is the jet lag or more likely just being dense but I really
> don't see the difficulty in working with <catchWord>.
>
> Let's assume that you have <divineName> in the text and in <catchWord>
> which appears in a note on the same page. Do you really want to find
> duplicate references to the same occurrence of <divineName> just because
> it appears in what is a textual clue to what is being addressed in a note?
>
> In most cases, <catchWord> should only contain a text string, no other
> elements, although we allowed a few so references could be embedded, etc..
>
> I have yet to imagine or hear any reason why you want to allow this sort
> of markup in <catchWord>. Certainly no way to constrain it to match the
> markup that is found in the main text, which it is supposed to be drawn
> from so it looks more like a source of problems than anything else.

I actually see a problem with not allowing <divineName> inside of
<catchWord>.  As I recall, we added <divineName> largely to indicate the
meaning behind small caps rendering of Lord, etc.  If Lord occurs as part
of <catchWord> text, currently it either cannot indicate that it should be
rendered with small caps or it would need to do so through some
non-standard method, like <seg type="divineName">, which would make
creating generalized style-sheets more difficult.

--Chris