[osis-core] allowing "short" as a <title> type - remove "divTitle" and add "osisRef" to <title>

Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:20:23 -0600

Chris,

I share you desire to be clear about the scope that a title applies to.
We could put an osisRef attribute on <title> in the same fashion as
<note> and <figure>.  If an osisRef is present then it can be used to
indicate the span of text that the title applies to.  IF a <div> element
has a "scope" value equal to the "osisRef" of a <title> element then it
would be clear that the <title> applies to the entire scope of the <div>
element.  If a <div> element does not have a "scope" value then the
meaning is equally clear only, harder to determine.

This is a simple addition and is in keeping with our pattern of using
osisRef to indicate the span of text that an element applies to.

PROPOSAL: Remove "divTitle" from <div> and add osisRef to <title>.

The
> >short title "Matthew" is not an abbreviation for "The Gospel
According
> >to Matthew".  It should up the rendering process to determine how,
> >where, and which title will be used (if at all).  On this basis I
think
> >it makes sense to add "short" to osisTitles.
> >
> I think there's a misunderstanding of the definition of
"abbreviation".
> [...]
latter
> as the full/real title of the book, "Matthew" must be an abbreviation.
>
> Short titles and every other type of <title> element have radically
> different forms of presentation.  All <titles> are realized inline
> within the document stream at their point of occurrence, but short
> titles occur in page corners, or title bars, or not at all.  Such a
> significant difference indicates to me that short titles are not the
> same as other titles.
>
> I don't suggest encoding short titles in the header, but I also
> recommend against encoding it as part of the text stream.  divTitle
> satisfies this.  A shortTitle attribute added to div would also permit
> keeping the short title out of the text stream and allow the divTitle
> be used for its normal purpose.  Or perhaps an element on the title
> element that is being abbreviated would be better.  Consider an
encoding
> such as: <title type="main" shortForm="Matthew">The Gospel According
> Matthew</title>.
>
> >2) How should "divTitle" be used and what is its meaning?
> >I agree that "divTitle" would mean the title of the entire <div>.
> >However, there can be more than one title that applies to the entire
> >are expected to apply to the entire <div> element they follow.
> >
> divTitle is a borrowing from ThML.  It mimics the title attribute on
> each of its divN elements.  This one appears to be used for automatic
> TOC generation.  That's also how Sword's ThML & OSIS importers
interpret
> and use these attributes.  ThML encodes inline titles as <h[1-6]>
> elements.  A divN title element also usually occurs as a <h[1-6]>
inline
> element.
>
> I don't understand how multiple titles can apply to an entire div,
> unless you are referring to subtitles.  Subtitles probably wouldn't go
> in a divTitle.
>
> >>From what you wrote below it would seem that you agree that we
should
> >expect that encoders would use either "divTitle" or a child <title>
> >element.  It would seem difficult to explain when "divTitle" should
be
> >used and when a <title> element should be used.  It is possible that
in
> >some cases the title would be in a 'divTitle' element but in other
cases
> >because another title supersedes the same type of title that a
<title>
> >element would be used.
> >

> There's no reason to use just one or the other--using both is
perfectly
> reasonable.  I've encoded OSIS documents that have identical text in
> divTitle and a <title> element.  Most ThML documents do the same.
>
> All titles in the text stream should go in <title> elements.  divTitle
> can contain any title that applies to the whole div, for purposes of
TOC