[osis-core] Hebrew Bible: Gen.1.1 annotation

Kirk Lowery osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 10:00:19 -0400

For your amazement, I offer Genesis 1:1 in a first attempt at
linguistic annotation of an original language text. I have created ad
hoc new elements and attributes as I felt needed.

I did this by hand, and did not try to validate it, not even for
well-formedness. I'd appreciate feedback on the general design
philosophy. It is inline, and uses elements rather than attributes for
  each linguistic feature of a morpheme for maximum granularity and
minimum post-processing of annotation strings. I did not use <seg>.

I am not committed to any of this. Feel free to disagree. :-)

----------------Gen.1.1.osis.xml-----------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<osis xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
   xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="osisCore.1.1.xsd">
   <osisText osisIDWork="WHM" osisRefWork="defaultReferenceScheme">
     <header>
       <work osisWork="WHM">
         <title>The Westminster Hebrew Bible Morphology</title>
         <language>en</language>
         <identifier type="OSIS">HebrewBible.Morphology</identifier>
         <refSystem>Bible.Hebrew</refSystem>
       </work>
       <work osisWork="defaultReferenceScheme">
         <refSystem>Bible.Hebrew</refSystem>
       </work>
     </header>
     <book osisID="Gen">
       <chapter osisID="Gen.1">
         <verse osisID="Gen.1.1">

<!-- new elements for Hebrew linguistic annotation   -->
<!-- additional information needing capturing        -->
<!--   Manuscript authority: Leningrad B19A          -->
<!--   Hebrew text encoding: Michigan                -->
<!--   WHM Release 4.0 March 26, 2003                -->
<!-- OSIS linguistic annotation module draft 0.1     -->
<!--   Kirk Lowery                                   -->

           <hebWord order="1">
             <hebMorpheme order="1">
               B.:
               <hebLemma>B.:</hebLemma>
               <particle type="preposition" />
             </hebMorpheme>
             <hebMorpheme order="2">
               R")$I^YT
               <hebLemma>R")$IYT</hebLemma>
               <noun type="common">
                 <gender type="feminine" />
                 <number type="singular" />
                 <state type="absolute" />
               </noun>
             </hebMorpheme>
           </hebWord>
           <hebWord order="2">
             <hebMorpheme order="1">
               B.FRF^)
               <hebLemma homonym="1">BR)</hebLemma>
               <verb>
                 <stem type="qal" />
                 <conjugation type="perfect" />
                 <person type="3"
                 <gender type="masculine" />
                 <number type="singular" />
               </verb>
             </hebMorpheme>
           </hebWord>
           <hebWord order="3">
             <hebMorpheme order="1">
               ):ELOHI^YM
               <hebLemma>):ELOHIYM</hebLemma>
               <noun type="common">
                 <gender type="masculine" />
                 <number type="plural" />
                 <state type="absolute" />
               </noun>
             </hebMorpheme>
           </hebWord>
           <hebWord order="4">
             <hebMorpheme order="1">
               )"^T
               <hebLemma homonym="1">)"T</hebLemma>
               <particle type="object_marker" />
             </hebMorpheme>
           </hebWord>
           <hebWord order="5">
             <hebMorpheme order="1">
               HA
               <hebLemma>HA</hebLemma>
               <particle type="article" />
             </hebMorpheme>
             <hebMorpheme order="2">
               $.FMA^YIM
               <hebLemma>$FMAYIM</hebLemma>
               <noun type="common">
                 <gender type="masculine" />
                 <number type="plural" />
                 <state type="absolute" />
               </noun>
             </hebMorpheme>
           </hebWord>
           <hebWord order="6">
             <hebMorpheme order="1">
               W:
               <hebLemma>W:</hebLemma>
               <particle type="conjunction" />
             </hebMorpheme>
             <hebMorpheme order="2">
               )"^T
               <hebLemma homonym="1">)"T</hebLemma>
               <particle type="object_marker" />
             </hebMorpheme>
           </hebWord>
           <hebWord order="7">
             <hebMorpheme order="1">
               HF
               <hebLemma>HA</hebLemma>
               <particle type="article" />
             </hebMorpheme>
             <hebMorpheme order="2">
               )F^REC
               <hebLemma>)EREC</hebLemma>
               <noun type="common">
                 <gender type="feminine" />
                 <number type="singular" />
                 <state type="absolute" />
               </noun>
             </hebMorpheme>
           </hebWord>
         </verse>
       </chapter>
     </book>
   </osisText>
</osis>

Blessings,

Kirk
--
Kirk E. Lowery, Ph.D.
Director, Westminster Hebrew Institute

Theorie ist, wenn man alles weiss und nichts klappt.
Praxis ist, wenn alles klappt und keiner weiss warum.
Bei uns sind Theorie und Praxis vereint:
nichts klappt und keiner weiss warum!