Mon, 9 Jun 2003 11:59:26 -0600

Patrick, Troy, Chris, and Steve,

Here is something (that Troy has pointed out in the past) that we may
want to chew on.

It would seem appropriate for a <verse> (and a <chapter>) to be marked
outside of the <l> element in many cases, but inside <lg>.  In the past
we have decided against allowing <verse> to be a <lg> because we did not
want to allow <verse> as a container to be a child of <lg>.  Now that we
(according to best practice combined with the fact that almost no <l>
encompasses an entire verse) will be using <verse> as a milestone
exclusively within <lg> and <l>, we have to opportunity to allow a
milestone only <verse> as a child of <lg>.  The result would be that in
most cases the <l> element itself and not just its contents would be
marked as being a part of the verse.  I believe this would be more
accurate.

REASON TO CONSIDER THIS NOW: We are making a shift from using EITHER
<verse> with the splitID OR <milestoneStart>/<milestoneEnd> to using
ONLY <verse/> as a milestone in poetry, if we allow a <verse/> milestone
only element in <lg> now at the same time we are already making the "big
change" the result will be that going forward encodings will be better
and will not have to be corrected if it is allowed later.  Also, if we
introduce it later there will already be a number of "weaker" encodings
produced.

Ex:
CURRENT PLACEMENT OF <verse> MILESTONES.
<lg>
	<l><verse osisID="Ps.1.1" sID="Ps.1.1"/>God blesses those
people</l>
	<l>who refuse evil advice</l>
	<l>and won't follow sinners</l>
	<l><verse osisID="Ps.1.2" sID="Ps.1.2"/>Instead, the Law of the
<divineName type="yhwh">LORD</divineName></l>
	<l>makes them happy,</l>
	<l>and they think about it</l>
</lg>

MORE ACCURATE PLACEMENT OF <verse> MILESTONES.
<lg>
	<verse osisID="Ps.1.1" sID="Ps.1.1"/>
	<l>God blesses those people</l>
	<l>who refuse evil advice</l>
	<l>and won't follow sinners</l>
	<l>or join in sneering at God. </l>
	<verse eID="Ps.1.1"/>
	<verse osisID="Ps.1.2" sID="Ps.1.2"/>
	<l>Instead, the Law of the <divineName
type="yhwh">LORD</divineName></l>
	<l>makes them happy,</l>
	<l>and they think about it</l>
	<l>day and night.</l>
	<verse eID="Ps.1.2"/>
</lg>

Note: For this example, I have removed all <lb> and type attributes.

Todd