[osis-core] Solution for the <chapter> dilemma

Mon, 2 Jun 2003 10:40:50 -0600

I think the bottom line is that <chapter> milestones can occur just
about anywhere and we need to support the ability for them to exist just
about anywhere.  At the same time we are not comfortable having a
<chapter> container just about anywhere and in fact that is not how we
would intend the <chapter> container to be used.

One possibility is to create two Complex Types for chapter.
1) One that is like <div> and would be generally used and
2) One that has no children and is always empty for use as a milestone
everywhere <verse> is allowed.

The encoding using <chapter> as a milestone would work like it needs to
but we would not be tending toward an ANY model, while at the same time
preserving consistent markup representation of the multiple overlapping
hierarchies.

The following "best practice" encoding
<chapter mS="X"/>
<chapter mE="Y"/>

could be viewed equivalently by software that provides multiple DOM
views as

<chapter>
<chapter>...def...<p mE="B">
</chapter>

This alternant encoding does not include any "unusually" children of
<chapter> as a container AND the first encoding does not have a
<chapter> milestone in an unusual location.

CONCLUSION: By creating a special "milestone only" <chapter> that is a
the two hierarchies that can overlap at just about any point, while not
opening 	the model up to an ANY type encoding.

XML