[osis-core] osisCore.1.6.0.xsd

Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:28:09 -0700

I have three corrections to 1.5 that should go into the next release:

1) My email address in the documentation should be corrected to
"chrislit@crosswire.org".

2) (this one may be fixed by the larger changes being made to the
schema, but...)  XMLSpy identifies <osis> and <closer> as the two
possible root elements of an OSIS document.  I don't know if this is an
XMLSpy bug or a schema bug, and I couldn't guess how to fix it.

3) <div type="chapter"> is gone....
I'm sorry I didn't notice this before 1.5 was released, but I don't
think it was a good idea to simply remove one of the most commonly used
div types between minor versions.  Deprecating I could understand.
Outright removal seems unwise, especially in light of much more minor
elements that were deprecated rather than being removed.

I would recommend re-inclusion of chapter in osisDivs with a caveat that
it should not be used for Bibles.  The Catechism of the Catholic Church
uses a chapter division, but does not use verses, and has numerous
divisions between chapters and its smallest division anyway, so
<chapter>/<verse> tags aren't applicable.  When we get into non-Biblical
texts more seriously, we're going to run into lots of texts with chapter
divisions but no verse divisions, meaning all divisions would be marked
by <div>, except one particular division, marked by <chapter>.  It
returns us, essentially, to the problem of more than one way to mark
structures that are semantically the same.

--Chris