[osis-core] styles

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 09 Dec 2003 14:47:40 -0500

Andrew Proper and I are still having trouble getting our Microsoft Word
2003 osis-import XSLT to read in two different files, because of the way
Word/XSLT handles temporary directories.

We are currently considering the following solution for storing a
document stylesheet inside the OSIS file itself. Tell us if it's too
horrible to contemplate:

Add an element in the header of the document, something like this:

  p   {text-indent: 0.5in; margin-top: 12pt}

Of course, it will be possible to store the OSIS document and the
stylesheet separately and combine them into one or split a combined file
into two with simple utilities. This is just for getting the document
and styling into and out of Word.

------------------------

The other issue is that CSS, not being XML syntax, is easy to generate
but hard to parse for other purposes. It will be hard to read in a CSS
stylesheet and parse it with an XSLT. So CSS may in fact not be appropriate.

It turns out that XSL-FO doesn't really seem appropriate to us either.
It is intended for describing formatted blocks and pages, not standoff
formatting per se.

We could make up our own XML syntax for the CSS stylesheet, as the CCEL
already does. (See the stylesheets in /ccel/c/calvin/calcom01.xml, for
example -- one CSS, one an XML representation of CSS.) Or, we could just
duplicate the WordML stylesheet.  Any other suggestions for an
XML-format stylesheet language we could use?

Or shall we embed all the formatting in <hi> elements? [WARNING: THAT
WAS ONLY AN ATTEMPT AT HUMOR]

-Harry Plantinga