[osis-core] Cox Commentary

Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:39:23 -0400

--------------000409010805010704030704

Guys,

Some notes on the Cox commentary on Job. Will try to reach another one
tomorrow.

Several interesting issues.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

--------------000409010805010704030704

Notes on Cox's Commentary on Job

p. 1

Note that first paragraph is not idented (stylesheet matter)

Would not mark, Poem, Divines and Expositors, with elements, even
though placed in caps in the text.

(Note that by page 3 it is apparent that the author is using Poem =
Book of Job. There's an interesting question. Not the name of the work
that is being encoded, ok, but is a reference to the work being
translated in its most generic sense, "The Book of Job," since he has
not made reference to a particular mss. witness. Will have to think
about that one.)

Would mark Thomas Carlye with <name>, attribute of nameType=person,
regular = "Carlye, Thomas"

Interesting footnote style:

'"Lives of Heroes"--"The Hero as Prophet"'

My assumption is that "Lives of Heroes" is the title of the work and
"The Hero as Prophet" is a chapter or essay in the work. Not all that
familiar with Carlye so can't say for sure.

Wait, I have the WWW available!

At least one version of the work title: ON HEROES, HERO WORSHIP, AND
THE HEROIC IN HISTORY, 1841.

Note that the Prophet mentioned in his essay is reported to be
Mohammed.

Nothing else particularly remarkable on this page.

p. 2

Interesting reference to 'Cannon Cook's in "The Speaker's Commentary"'
with no further reference information. Apparently must have been a
well known work at the time.

Obviously a reference, should be marked as such but what about the
missing information? Publisher, date, etc.? Not an uncommon problem
for encoders. Personally I would encode as a reference and supply the
information in a work element.

p. 3

Note: "our Authorized Version" (not clear which Authorized Version)
and now uses "Book" to mean the "Book of Job." Hmmm, for quick
encoding, may not want to catch all the allusions of that sort?
Comments?

Note that he starts the paragraph: "What I have aimed and..."
Then begins a numbered list of sorts, which on pages 4 and 5, become
sections that are formatted like paragraphs. so if we have:

<list>

To duplicate the appearance, the stylesheet has to keep the first
<li><p> inline and the following ones as indented paragraphs? Hmmm,
looks like PI time to me. ;-)

Note that the footnote starts on this page and ends on the
next. stylesheet issue I would presume.

p. 4 see notes above

p. 5

Does like to name names doesn't he? Hamlet, Young (?). These are
references but not always exact ones. Comments on encoding?

--------------000409010805010704030704--