[osis-core] <hi> types

Sun, 17 Aug 2003 23:40:57 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Todd Tillinghast wrote:

> Are you are saying that <hi> is presentation independent?

In theory, all that <hi type="italic"> necessarily indicates is that the
original (e.g. printed or manuscript) text presented the contents in
italics.  In rendering, if the capability is present, I would probably use
italics as well.  But we're really just indicating a feature of the
original that has no discernable semantics other than highlighting.

> Is there a reason that they choose the large L and the drop cap C where
> they did.  Like the start of a 'section', paragraph, etc...

I would guess it is something like new books and chapters get illuminated
and drop-cap letters respectively.  But there are situations in
manuscripts where it may not be as well reasoned, but where the fact that
these letters are distinct from those surrounding would still be desired
to be encoded.

> Is your intent to preserve the formatting in the original rendering (in
> the same sense that we preserve the point where the column and page
> break was) OR is that you believe that the illuminated letter contains
> part of the 'meaning' intended by the author and by leaving out the fact
> that an illuminated letter was present would leave out part of the
> 'meaning'? (or both)
>
> On the second I am wondering if the illuminated signals the start of
> something and that the meaning might be preserved in some other way.

I think it is an important part of document preservation.  A more
complete method would somehow include illuminated letters as images or at
least include a description of their illustration.

My motivation comes looking at a text of Das Nibelungenlied (as I
mentioned) because the digital edition I'm working with acutally notes
instances where illuminated letters occur.

I realize that with the Bible example in the image I linked to,
illuminated letters could be rendered really big and drop caps fairly big,
on the basis of being the first letter of a book or chapter respectively.
That's one option, that gives the stylesheet writer power and makes the
encoder's job simpler, because he can simply discard lots of information.
Providing a means for recording when illuminated letters and drop caps
occur still gives the stylesheet writer power to acknowledge the encoder's
directions, but at least permits the encoder to describe the document more
completely.

--Chris