[osis-core] refSystem syntax and comments

Sun, 01 Sep 2002 13:37:25 -0400

Guys,

I am supposed to call Todd today about 5 PM (East Coast Time) and this
is what I think satisfies all requirements:

The current osisText reads:

<xs:element name="osisText">

<snip the annotation>

 <xs:complexType>

		<xs:sequence>

			<xs:element ref="header" minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1"/>

                        <xs:element ref="div" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>

		</xs:sequence>

			<xs:attribute name="osisWork" type="osisWorkType" use="optional" default="Bible"/>

			<xs:attributeGroup ref="globalAttributes"/>

			<xs:attribute name="TEIform" fixed="text"/>

	</xs:complexType>

</xs:element>

Note that the default osisWork attribute is set to Bible and can be
overidden. Meaning you can set the default to precede the ":" in an
osisID or osisRef.

Now, the header allows you to declare a <work> element that has an
attribute (for the entire work and its children) of:

<xs:element name="work">

instance. It is most commonly used in connection with osisID to specify a particular work that is being
referenced by the osisID in question.</p>

value. The *lt;identifier&gt; element can contain a longer string to identify the work in question.
If the work uses a particular reference system, that can be noted in the &lt;reference&gt; element.
It should be noted that such a notation has no bearing on the reference system actually used with an
osisID or osisRef. The user is responsible for indicating a citation that is meaningful in terms of
the reference system of the work that is being used in the work element.</p>

I take this to mean that the material in front of the ":" in an osisID
or osisRef is just a reference to the work element in the header and
does not mean anything beyond that pointing.

The work element has a required attribute, also called osisWork, which I
have contemplated changing but since that is the value that should
replace Bible in osisWork in osisText, it probably is not too confusing
to leave the same.

<xs:attribute name="osisWork" type="osisWorkType" use="required"/>

I think Todd (he will post if disagrees) is now convinced that at least
by late today or Monday that we cannot solve the generic mapping problem
of references and therefore should not link our IDs or Refs to a
particular reference system, at least as far as their syntax. In other
words, I could declare a French bible to be the NIV translations and
note in <refSystem> that it uses the KVJ reference system, but the
actual ID that I use is just a reference to that work element and does
not imply any system abilities with regard to the reference system. That
a citation makes sense with reference to a particular work is solely the
responsibility of the user.