[osis-core] transChange in title

Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:39:05 -0500

Troy,

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

>> Does not answer your question about titles generally, but titles are
>> usually imposed and hence not subject to transChange. In other words,
>> if I am giving something a title, one assumes I can give it whatever
>> title I want, why would I need transChange?
>

> Again, not sure if title is appropriate in this case, but...
>
> Remember the purpose of transChange:  To designate where a
> _translation_ did not remain literal to the source.  This would apply
> just as well to titles, if they were indeed part of Biblical text.

Agreed. Not sure there are any titles in the Biblical text. At least not
in the OT at any rate.

Well, that's not entirely fair. I suppose you could do a transChange on
Qoheleth to indicate both Ecclesiastes or "Teacher." Not sure that would
not be a note, but that would be editorial preference. Someone could
want to put it "in" in the title just to annoy me. ;-)

You can have title inside of title so you could still have it there as
an alternative title.

Not the same as transChange, could be important if you wanted to know
all the cases where an edition has a transChange.

I spoke briefly to Steve this morning, he may call this afternoon so I
will ask about it.