[osis-core] milestone_Start/End/SE

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 20:27:22 -0700

The case of milestone_SE is defined differently in Start and End

Could we do something about these inconsistently long and underscored
element names and attributes with regard to the milestone elements.

Also, I really don't like doing milestones this way.  I lose all my
attributes and have to *hack* them into subType.

I really think we need to allow _attribute declared_ milestones (same
old song I've been singing for 6 months now) with attributes mStart and
mEnd.

2 major benefits:

Get all of a tag's attributes.

Tags still get processed in the right place because they really are <q>
or whatever.

I've not heard any voiced detriments in a while and I can't remember any
that are specifically aimed at why the hideous:

<milestone_Start Milestone_SE="yoyo" type="q"
subType="speaker:Joe|type:blockquote" />
Hi, I'm Joe.
<milestone_End milestone_SE="yoyo" />

is better than the elegant and understandable:

<q type="blockquote" speaker="Joe" mStart="yoyo" />
Hi, I'm Joe.
<q mEnd="yoyo />

  :)

I can't see any good reason to keep things the way they are and I guess
I'm asking officially that it be changed.

	-Troy.