[osis-core] quotes

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 12:29:18 -0700

Hey guys.  Got some quote questions for you all.  Again, I go to
extremely difficult problems in the minor prophets.  Please see after
example for my immediate question.

Here's an excerpt from the NKJV, Jer 2:1-.  I've tried to 'codify' the
quotes and indentation to help see the hierarchy:

_________________________

1. Moreover the word of the LORD came to me, saying,  2.
"
   Go and cry in the hearing of Jerusalem, saying,
   '
     Thus says the LORD:
     "
       I remember you, The kindness of your youth, The love of your
       betrothal, When you went after Me in the wilderness, In a
       land not sown.  3. Israel [was] holiness to the LORD, The
       firstfruits of His increase.  All that devour him will
       offend; Disaster will come upon them,
     "
     says the LORD.
   '
"
4. Hear the word of the LORD, O house of Jacob and all the
families of the house of Israel.  5. Thus says the LORD:
"
   What injustice have your fathers found in Me, That they have gone
   far from Me, Have followed idols, And have become idolaters?
   6. Neither did they say,
   '
     Where [is] the LORD, Who brought us up out of the land of Egypt,
     Who led us through the wilderness, Through a land of deserts
     and pits, Through a land of drought and the shadow of death,
     Through a land that no one crossed And where no one dwelt?
   '
   7. I brought you into a bountiful country, To eat its fruit
   and its goodness. But when you entered, you defiled My land
   And made My heritage an abomination.  8. The priests did not say,
   '
     Where [is] the LORD?
   '
   And those who handle the law did not know Me; The rulers
   also transgressed against Me; The prophets prophesied
   by Baal, And walked after [things that] do not profit.
   9.
<****conflict here**** no ending ">
"
   Therefore I will yet bring charges against you,
"
says the LORD,...

_________________________

Verse 9 has a 'continuation quote' that started in verse 5.  I think the
NKJV does this when a new paragraph begins and the quote spans the
paragraph, eg.

This is a long quote, "Hello this is my first paragraph.
"This is my second paragraph."

Here is another example from John 7:21:
_________________________

21. Jesus answered and said to them, "I did one work, and you all marvel.
22. "Moses therefore gave you circumcision (not that it is from Moses,
but from the fathers), and you circumcise a man on the Sabbath.
23. "If a man receives circumcision on the Sabbath, so that the law of
Moses should not be broken, are you angry with Me because I made a man
completely well on the Sabbath?
24. "Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous
judgment."
_________________________

the quote starts in 21, and continues thru 24.  There are 'continuation
quotes' starting verses 22, 23, and 24.

HOW IN THE WORLD SHOULD WE MARK THESE UP?

My thoughts:

1) Segmentation should not be the suggested mechanism do this.
Segmentation is for CODING PROBLEMS of hierarchy and constitute ONE
LOGICAL element, when reconstructed programmatically.  This is a very
different thing that actual content segmentation symbols intended for
the reader.

2) suggestion: <q type="continuation" />

3) alternate suggestion: no markup at all.  Just remove the continuation
quotes and let the renderer decide that it needs to insert the
appropriate "'` or whatever/whenever the renderer feels the need to show
continuation quotes.

I think enabling authors to mark these up in text is best, so I prefer
something like the suggestion in 2.

Thoughts?
		-Troy.