[osis-core] OSIS book abbreviations

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 09:51:31 -0400

Well, the simplest solution is to use Esth.1 through Esth.10
for book Esth and GrEsth.1 through GrEsth.16 for Esther (Greek),
of course...

It's not strictly true to say that Esth.2.2 or some other verse
is the same in Esther and Esther (Greek). Sometimes it's very
similar, sometimes quite different.

If we want to use the same ID twice, Esth.2.2 for both the
Hebrew and Greek version, is a request for Esth.2.2 supposed to
return both of them? If not, which one?  Bonus points if your
answer applies in general, not just for Esth -- this problem
will arise in other situations.  E.g. a book has a certain
bible passage repeated a number of times.

I suppose it would have to return all instances, wouldn't it.
Else how could you access the other instances.

The general problem of how to use osisIDs as identifiers when
they are not required to be unique is a bit sticky.  It almost
requires that we have a second, document-specific ID system
that lets us identify particular instances.

Or should there be a syntax that lets you chose "the second
instance of Esther.2.2"?

-Harry