[osis-core] OSIS book abbreviations

Tue, 8 Oct 2002 09:12:08 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Harry Plantinga wrote:

> SBL abbreviations have Esth and AddEsth, which is the source
> from which this thread arose.  I thought it was confusing to
> call it AddEsth when the book actually contains all of Esther,
> as translated from the Greek. (It might also be considered
> slightly derogatory by those who don't consider chs. 11-16 to
> be "additions.")

Okay, we've definitely got a difference of interpretation of the SBL
abbreviations.  I interpret AddEsth to mean just the additions to Esther,
as an independent book with JUST the additions, not the portions contained
in both the heb & grk books (which I would interpret as covered by Esth,
in both cases).  I would not use AddEsth for the NRSV at all, at least if
I were encoding the printed edition that I have.

> As I understand your proposal, Chris, you would delete the
> AddEsth book entirely from the list of abbreviations and
> only use Esth -- is that right?  Or would you identify
> chapters 11..16 of Esther (Greek) with the AddEsth bookID?

So... no, I wouldn't delete AddEsth, just use it in the manner that I
described.  I believe that is the intent of the abbreviations.

--Chris