[osis-core] OSIS book abbreviations

Mon, 7 Oct 2002 16:52:03 -0700 (MST)

> From "The fact that the NRSVA has translations from both just means it
> has two versions of the same book, not two distinct ones." in an earlier
> post, I understood that there are two different versions of the NRSVA.
>
> IF there are two versions of NRSVA both "defining" different naming
> systems, then any of the following options would work:
> 1) "Bible.NRSVA.versionName1" and "Bible.NRSVA.versionName2".  (A
> reference to the "abstract work" "Bible.NRSVA" would have to be resolved
> using mapping to one of the specific works.)  (It would be possible to
> define "Bible.NRSVA" as equal to one of the two versions.)
> 2) Use "Bible.NRSVA1" and "Bible.NRSVA2" for the two works.
>
> Does this make sense?

This isn't quite what Harry meant.  I've got a printed copy of the NRSV
(in the form of "The New Oxford Annotated Bible") that contains the Hebrew
Bible with Esther translated from Hebrew AND the Apocrypha with Esther
translated from Greek.  So the printed version does have 2 versions of
Esther, but the work is still just Bible.NRSV.

The Hebrew one reads "Esther X.X" at the top.  The Greek reads "Esther
(Greek) X.X" at the top.  But I would argue that they are just two
versions of the same book, both included in the NRSV work.  Can OSIS 1.1
accomodate this and refer to specific verses within either book without
making a separate book for Greek Esther?

I think the SBL abbreviations support my position that there is only one
Esther, since they only have 1 abbreviation.  And logically, they're just
variants of a single book.  But will OSIS 1.1 get the job done given these
conditions?

--Chris