Add new quote specific milestone attributes - RE: [osis-core] milestone name inconsistencies

Sat, 16 Nov 2002 10:57:45 -0500

>Patrick,
>
>I have to strongly disagree with the use of osisID to match up start and
>end milestones.

On what basis? The only reason TEI does not use ID for that purpose is
that it has to be unique in the document.

Any mechanism is going to have to involve either pointing, whether
expressed as a ref or not, or have some sort of matching tokens.

>If PT if for presentation type and SE is for Something Else AND neither
>is to help us match up starting and ending milestones then we need
>ANOTHER attribute for the purpose of matching up milestones.
>
>We must NOT use osisID to match up milestones starting and endings
>because we would force the inclusion of arbitrary trash in the
>identifier namespace whose sole purpose is to match up milestones.
>
>If the encoder wants to create an osisID for a milestone let them but it
>should not be required so that a pair can be matched up.
>
>We should have some thing like:
>	<qStart end="xyz"/> text <qEnd start="xyz"/>
>
>If the "end" and "start" attributes are not required what good are start
>and end milestones.

What good are the paired milestones anyway? As I recall there were many
calls for pseudo-containment milestones, which I personally disagree
with but now we have those and paired <qStart>, <qEnd> milestones.

I am really at a loss to explain why we should require end/start on
matching milestones. I have no problem with adding the attributes but
see no reason to require their use.

Waiting on a good reason for requiring end/start attributes (willing to
add but why require)?

Patrick