Suggested bug-fix: Re: [osis-core] <milestone> in <title>?

Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:26:27 -0500

Harry,

Harry Plantinga wrote:

>The <milestone> element is supposed to serve as a generic
>"here" marker for identifying locations for unanticipated
>purposes. However, it can't appear in a <title> element.
>
>I can think of a number of reasons you might want to put a
><milestone> in a <title>.  The one that's causing me headaches
>right now is that I want to use <milestone type="br"> to
>identify line breaks. E.g.

>I want to write
>
><title>MEISTER<milestone type="br"/>ECKHART'S...etc.
>
>Can we add <milestone> to the <title> content model?
>Or do you have another suggestion for handling line
>breaks?

Actually TEI allows <milestone> in <title>.

My suggestion for line breaks is DON'T! ;-)

Consider that most searching software is looking for <title>MEISTER
ECKHART'S SERMONS</title> and not:

<title type="main"><title="subpart">MEISTER</title><title
type="subpart">ECKHART'S</title><title
type="subpart">SERMONS</title></title>

Makes searching unnecessarily difficult with no real gain. (Not to
mention inconsistent with other encodings that follow structure and not
presentation.) At least the milestone solution, if generally used, could
be simply ignored for searching/indexing purposes.

Could use <seg> if you really want to break the <title> up but again
that has consequences for searching.

Really looks like abuse of the <p> element to press it into service for
rendering.

Sigh, I really hate presentation issues. ;-)

SUGGESTION: Since we are issuing a bug fix anyway (assuming I can keep
on track), voices in favor of adding <milestone> (just the generic one)
to <title>?

(Before anyone asks, should the same be true for <caption>? I can
imagine the same question arising there as well.)

Yes to Troy's question about <seg>, it really is the container for
anything (else!) we forgot. ;-)

Patrick