[osis-core] Are quotes structure?

Wed, 13 Nov 2002 06:29:38 -0500

Guys,

Interesting conversation with the British and Foreign Bible Society
folks in London last week. They are very supportive of OSIS and thought
you had done a very good job with it!

I mentioned that we were still having some difficulty with the deeply
nested quotes and they asked whether we should consider most quotes as
structures in the text at all. In other words, are those quotes
presentational and not structural elements in a text?

Prompted by that question, I looked back at the TEI Guidelines, which
seem to turn on making off material that is not in the "narrative
voice," that represents a direct quotation (like from a book or journal
article), or the speaker when you are dealing with dialogue.

I have not gone back through Troy's examples yet but it seems to me that
the rendition problem (apart from the structure) could be solved by
simply including the appropriate quotation marks in the text stream. For
most of the translations that adopt this use of quotes, they are not
reflecting structures in the original text at all, well, at least that
are not marked in the original text, so it really is just a presentation
matter and not structure in the text.

In other words, where a prophet is quoting the Lord, the break is
between the prophet and the Lord, in terms of the narrative voice, is it
not? So, "Say to my people...." which continues with what to say is in
one voice, the Lord's.

Does that help with any of our outstanding issues?