[osis-core] Isn't an <identifier type="OSIS"> element required within a <work> element that is used in osisRefWork or osisIDWork

Fri, 8 Nov 2002 14:56:11 -0700

Simply stated here is test case of what I think needs to work in a
reliable fashion:
<osisText osisIDWork="x" osisRefWork="y">
   <header>
      <work osisWork="x">
         ... some element that is always there that says
"x=Bible.MyEncoding" ...
      </work>
      <work osisWork="y">
         ... some element that is always there that says "y=Bible.KJV"
      </work>
      <work osisWork="z">
         ... some element that is always there that says "z=Bible.XYZ"
      </work>
   </header>
                  <verse osisID="Ps.1.1 x:Ps.1.1 y:Ps.1.1 z:Ps.2.a
z:Ps.1.2.b">....</verse>
                  <reference osisRef="Ps.42.1"/>
                  <reference osisRef="x:Ps.1.5"/>
                  <reference osisRef="z:Ps.1.1"/>
</osisText>

>From the osisID derive the following:
Ps.1.1       = Bible.MyEncoding:Ps.1.1
x:Ps.1.1     = Bible.MyEncoding:Ps.1.1
y:Ps.1.1     = Bible.KJV:Ps.1.1
z:Ps.2.a     = Bible.XYZ:Ps.2.a
z:Ps.1.2.b   = Bible.XYZ:Ps.2.b

>From the osisRef derive the following:
Ps.42.1      = Bible.KJV:Ps.42.1
x:Ps.1.5     = Bible.MyEncoding:Ps.42.1
z:Ps.1.1     = Bible.XYZ:Ps.1.1

I thought that we had established that for the value of the attribute
osisWork of a <work> element to be used in conjunction with an osisID or
osisRef that it had to define a child element <identifier> with
type="OSIS.

As far a there being a distinction between a reference system and a work
I thought that we had agreed that there was none (and that there can be
"abstract" works if desired).

I like the consistency of ALWAYS having an <identifier type="OSIS">,
over sometimes <referenceSystem> and other times <identifier
type="OSIS">.  Also if we allow both then which one supersedes if two
values are present.  (It is also possible to have two child elements
<identifier type="OSIS">, but should be considered incorrect.)

Are we coming closer to the same page?