[osis-core] Valid Regex! Purpose of <seg>?

Fri, 24 May 2002 00:13:36 -0400

--------------040907000808060304090306

> In what cases and for what purpose would one use <seg>?

Seg as I understand the element is defined in prose in the TEI
Guidelines as follows:

> (arbitrary segment) contains any arbitrary phrase-level unit of text
> (including other <seg> elements).

I would document its use as being for any arbitrary phrase-level segment
that we have not provided an element to encode. Should add the next/prev
mechanism to it so people can encode arbitrary boundary crossing markup.
Probably should caution against its use in documents for interchange
since other people will not know how it is used.

Question: If I have to caution about its correct use, should it be
included in the Core? I have mixed feelings about it now that Todd has
keep badgering me to explain it. ;-) Might be appropriate in scholarly
module, after all reading or using scholarly versions is an "at your own
risk" sort of proposition. ;-) But do we gain anything for users by
having it in this release?

BTW, after composing my reply to Troy where he notes his folks are users
too, I was reminded of a great presentation by a guy from Sun at a
markup conference several years ago. He had edited the video from the
Godfather where they are discussing selling drugs to black people and he
edited the dialogue to refer to SGML/XML markup people as not having
souls anyway! It brought the house down! ;-) Did not mean to imply that
we weren't users too but I have different expectations of text producers
than text consumers. Forget sometimes we are one and then the other.
Sorry 'bout that!

Patrick

> Todd

<head>
</head>
Todd,<br>
Todd Tillinghast wrote:<br>
Seg as I understand the element is defined in prose in the TEI Guidelines
as follows:<br>
I would document its use as being for any arbitrary phrase-level segment
that we have not provided an element to encode. Should add the next/prev
mechanism to it so people can encode arbitrary boundary crossing markup.
Probably should caution against its use in documents for interchange since
other people will not know how it is used.<br>
Question: If I have to caution about its correct use, should it be included
in the Core? I have mixed feelings about it now that Todd has keep badgering
me to explain it. ;-) Might be appropriate in scholarly module, after all
reading or using scholarly versions is an "at your own risk" sort of proposition.
;-) But do we gain anything for users by having it in this release?<br>
BTW, after composing my reply to Troy where he notes his folks are users
too, I was reminded of a great presentation by a guy from Sun at a markup
conference several years ago. He had edited the video from the Godfather
where they are discussing selling drugs to black people and he edited the
dialogue to refer to SGML/XML markup people as not having souls anyway! It
brought the house down! ;-) Did not mean to imply that we weren't users too
but I have different expectations of text producers than text consumers.
Forget sometimes we are one and then the other. Sorry 'bout that!<br>
Patrick<br>
-----Original Message-----<br>
        <b>From:</b>    <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:owner-osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org">owner-osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org</a>    [<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="mailto:owner-osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org">mailto:owner-osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org</a>]<b>
On Behalf Of </b>Patrick    Durusau<br>
        <b>To:</b>    <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org">osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org</a><br>
Todd,<br>
Todd    Tillinghast wrote:<br>
May    have already covered this, but seg should not be a child of div. Partially
   because div can recur so can cover anything down to p or    verse.<br>
Patrick<br>
              <pre wrap=""><!---->expression<br></pre>
                <pre wrap=""><!----><br></pre>
                <pre class="moz-signature" cols="$mailwrapcol">--
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:pdurusau@emory.edu">pdurusau@emory.edu</a></pre>

--------------040907000808060304090306--