[osis-core] DOM (was: Schema comments!)

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Wed, 22 May 2002 08:42:42 -0700

OK guy, I'm gonna give myself away here, but here are my sincere
comments.

I don't understand exactly why we're again trying to force a single tree
hierarchy on our document (I don't know why XML hasn't been forced to
make DOM inherit from a rename of the current DOM spec to TOM).  A
'document' is almost NEVER a single hierarchy tree structure-- business
sales data- maybe, other database-like information- sure, but not
marked-up books! :)

At one point you all had me convinced that almost everything should be a
milestone.  Now you're trying to convince me that we should have NO
milestones.  I'm so distraught. :)

I don't think a good argument is that it makes things a little easier
when using standard xml transformation tools.  REASON:  None of our real
users will use standard XML transformation tools for a whole Bible.
They currently can't, unless they own a Cray with 5 gigs of memory.  And
even if they could, we're not helping simplify the problem; instead, all
we seem to be doing is making the simple case work easier, but adding
more complexity to the fully marked up cases.

When we start adding modules like translator markup, analytical markup,
etc., we're gonna have total hacks all over to get around this "crossing
containment" problem.

I don't like our new approach, currently, and want to be convinced
otherwise, if you guys will indulge my inquiry.

	Thanks for all the research and hard work!

		-Troy.